- 8 chicken marylands (1.4kg) (see tips)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions (400g), sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup sweet paprika
- ¼ cup smoked paprika
- ½ cup (70g) plain flour
- 1.25 litres (5 cups) chicken stock
- 2 x 400g cans cherry tomatoes
- micro herbs, to serve (optional)
- 1Cut end off chicken legs with a sharp cleaver (or ask your butcher to do this). Score skin-side of chicken pieces three times on the diagonal.
- 2Heat oil in a 7 litre (28-cup) cast iron or other flameproof casserole dish (see tips) over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in batches, for 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown; transfer each batch to a large plate.
- 3Discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat from pan; reduce heat to medium. Add onion; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add both paprikas and flour, season; cook, stirring continuously, for 1 minute or until paprika is fragrant.
- 4Add stock; whisk until smooth. Add tomatoes; bring to the boil over high heat. Return chicken to pan, skin-side up. Reduce heat to low-medium; cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Season to taste.
- 5Serve half the chicken paprikash topped with micro herbs. Transfer remaining chicken paprikash to an airtight container; cool, then store.
If you prefer, use 8 drumsticks and 8 thigh cutlets, or 16 drumsticks or 16 thigh cutlets instead of the marylands. We used a 25cm x 33cm oval cast iron casserole dish. Alternatively, use a large flameproof roasting pan, then cover tightly with baking paper and two layers of foil.Serve with buttered chargrilled sourdough or toasted crusty bread, if you like.Refrigerate chicken paprikash for up to 2 days. Freeze for up to 3 months; thaw in the fridge, then reheat in a microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021