- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon dashi powder
- 1 cup (250 millilitres) boiling water
- 4 medium brown onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup (300 grams) koshihikari rice
- 3 cup (750 millilitres) cold water
- 1/4 cup (60 millilitres) soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 600 gram chicken breast fillets, coarsely chopped
- 4 eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1In a small heatproof bowl, cover mushrooms with boiling water, stand 20 minutes; drain. Discard stems; slice caps thinly.
- 2Meanwhile, in a small jug, combine dashi with boiling water.
- 3In a heated lightly oiled large frying pan, cook brown onion, stirring, about 10 minutes or until onion is browned lightly. Add half of the dashi mixture, reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes or until softened. Transfer to medium bowl.
- 4In a large saucepan, bring rice and cold water to a boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to as low as possible; cover with a tight-fitting lid, cook rice 12 minutes. Do not remove lid or stir rice during cooking time. Remove from heat; stand, covered, 10 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, in same frying pan, combine remaining dashi mixture with sauce, mirin and sugar; bring to a boil. Add chicken and mushroom; cook, covered, about 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- 6Combine egg with cooked onion in bowl, pour over chicken mixture; cook, covered, over low heat, about 5 minutes or until egg just sets.
- 7Divide rice among serving bowls; top with chicken mixture, sprinkle with green onion.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Prawn and vegetable Okonomiyaki - Japanese pancakeToday 12:58am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesYesterday 10:21pm
- Baked cauliflowerYesterday 2:00pm
- Sensational sweet tartsYesterday 2:00pm
- Thai beef saladYesterday 2:00pm
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect panna cotta recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Tasty treats for Mother's Day morning teaMay 05, 2021
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021