This aromatic Indian spiced rice dish is packed with healthy vegetables, vibrant colour and fluffy rice for a simple and appetising meal.
- 1/4 cup (70g) yoghurt
- 2 cup (540g) bottled butter chicken simmer sauce
- 500 gram (1 pound) chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 1 1/2 cup (300g) basmati rice
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cup (250g) cauliflower florets
- 1 brown onion (200g), sliced thinly
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 fresh long green chilli, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 4 cloves
- 2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 cup (750ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (60g) frozen peas, thawed
- 1/3 cup (55g) dried currants
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 1Combine yoghurt, ¼ cup of the simmer sauce and chicken in a large bowl. Cover; refrigerate 1 hour.
- 2Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- 3Rinse rice under cold water until water runs clear; drain. Heat half the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over high heat; cook cauliflower, stirring, 5 minutes or until browned lightly and tender. Remove from pan.
- 4Heat remaining oil in same dish; cook onion, stirring, 5 minutes or until browned lightly. Add chicken; cook, stirring, until browned. Add garlic, ginger, chilli and spices; cook, stirring, 1 minute or until fragrant. Add rice; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in stock. Cover; bake 45 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid absorbed.
- 5Remove dish from oven; add cauliflower, peas and currants. Cover, stand for 10 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork; season to taste.
- 6Bring remaining simmer sauce to the boil in a small saucepan. Serve biryani topped with heated sauce, coriander leaves and some extra yoghurt, if you like.
This recipe is not suitable to freeze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021