- 1 medium brown onion, chopped finely
- 5 clove garlic, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup (140g) tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 1/2 cup (140g) sweet chilli sauce
- 1/2 cup (80ml) light soy sauce
- 1/2 cup (125ml) bourbon
- 1/2 cup (175g) honey
- 8 beef short ribs (2kg)
- 1Combine onion, garlic, sauces, bourbon and honey in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Add beef; turn to coat in mixture. Cook, covered, on low, for 8 hours.
- 2Carefully remove beef from cooker; cover to keep warm. Transfer sauce to a large frying pan; bring to the boil. Boil, skimming fat from surface, for about 10 minutes or until sauce reduces to 2 cups.
- 3Spoon sauce over beef to serve.
Short ribs, although they're not necessarily that short, are sections of beef ribs, not pork, usually taken from the second to the 10th rib. Each `slab' can contain from 2 to 8 ribs. The meat is full of flavour, but is very tough, so the ribs are best braised slowly over low heat, making them perfect for cooking in a slow cooker.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021