- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 kilogram beef round steak, trimmed, cubed
- 1/4 cup plain flour, seasoned
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 kumara, peeled, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, sliced, fronds reserved
- 1 green capsicum, seeded, chopped
- 125 gram button mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 cup beef stock
- 420 gram cream of mushroom soup
- 400 gram diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup seeded black olives
- 1/3 cup parsley leaves
- sour cream, crusty bread, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2In a large flameproof casserole dish, heat oil on high. Dust beef in combined flour and paprika, shaking off excess.
- 3Brown in 2 batches for 4-5 minutes each. Transfer to a casserole dish.
- 4In same dish, saute kumara, fennel, capsicum, mushrooms and garlic for 3-4 minutes until beginning to colour.
- 5Stir in stock, soup, tomatoes and wine. Season to taste.
- 6Bake, covered, for 45 minutes until meat is tender. Stir in olives and parsley. Garnish with fennel fronds. Serve with sour cream and bread.
Coating meat in flour helps to brown the meat and to thicken the sauce. Flavour bases, concentrated soups and dried soups can be added to casseroles for more flavour.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Apple and cinnamon crunch cake with cinnamon anglaiseYesterday 2:00pm
- Carrot falafelYesterday 2:00pm
- Turkish delightYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced tofu bao with pineapple cucumber saladYesterday 2:00pm
- Zucchini koftas with harissa yoghurtYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 easy apple crumble recipes for dessertYesterday 2:00pm
- Crispy middle-eastern seed and spice potatoesYesterday 2:00pm
- 34 marvellous meatball recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pork sausage and asparagus frittataYesterday 2:00pm
- Ratatouille stewMay 14, 2021
- Aussie damperMay 14, 2021
- 22 Indian recipesMay 13, 2021
- Brown rice and mushroom bowl with dukkah eggsMay 13, 2021
- Porridge recipes to warm up your morningsMay 13, 2021