- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 kilogram beef round steak, trimmed, cubed
- 1/4 cup plain flour, seasoned
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 kumara, peeled, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, sliced, fronds reserved
- 1 green capsicum, seeded, chopped
- 125 gram button mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 cup beef stock
- 420 gram cream of mushroom soup
- 400 gram diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup seeded black olives
- 1/3 cup parsley leaves
- sour cream, crusty bread, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2In a large flameproof casserole dish, heat oil on high. Dust beef in combined flour and paprika, shaking off excess.
- 3Brown in 2 batches for 4-5 minutes each. Transfer to a casserole dish.
- 4In same dish, saute kumara, fennel, capsicum, mushrooms and garlic for 3-4 minutes until beginning to colour.
- 5Stir in stock, soup, tomatoes and wine. Season to taste.
- 6Bake, covered, for 45 minutes until meat is tender. Stir in olives and parsley. Garnish with fennel fronds. Serve with sour cream and bread.
Coating meat in flour helps to brown the meat and to thicken the sauce. Flavour bases, concentrated soups and dried soups can be added to casseroles for more flavour.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic rum ballsToday 4:29am
- Garlic breadToday 1:00am
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaYesterday 11:55pm
- Garlic beef stir-fryYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy recipes with leeksYesterday 1:00pm
- Show-stopping Christmas recipes you'll be famous forYesterday 1:00pm
- Mouthwatering glazed Christmas ham recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Fettuccine carbonaraYesterday 5:37am
- White ChristmasNov 22, 2020
- Perfect roast potatoesNov 22, 2020
- Baked chocolate and caramel cheesecakeNov 22, 2020
- Christmas fruit and spice friandsNov 22, 2020
- Classic boiled Christmas puddingNov 22, 2020
- Pork and fennel sausage rollsNov 22, 2020
- Best edible Christmas giftsNov 22, 2020
- Perfect pad thaiNov 20, 2020