Barbecued squid salad
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 (260g) lebanese cucumbers, sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 10 small (1kg) squid, cleaned
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium (450g) ripe tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh thai basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 medium (400g) red capsicums, cut into 1cm strips
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, extra
Barbecued squid salad
- 1Combine the sugar, salt and vinegar in a small bowl; add the cucumber. Stand for 1 hour.
- 2Meanwhile, rinse the squid and pat dry with paper towel. Cut squid hoods along one side and open them out flat. Using a sharp knife, lightly score the inside surface in a criss-cross pattern. Cut into 3cm-wide strips.
- 3Combine the oil, tomato, basil and ginger in a large bowl. Season with a little sea salt and the pepper.
- 4Heat a barbecue (or grill plate) over a high heat. Barbecue the capsicum for a few minutes on each side or until tender. Add capsicum to the bowl with the tomato dressing.
- 5Season the squid, toss with remaining oil. Barbecue the squid, in batches, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until browned and turns. Add the warm squid to the bowl with the tomato mixture with the undrained pickled cucumber. Toss to combine then divide between four plates.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave. If you can’t find Thai basil, use regular basil or coriander instead.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Our best Italian recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Lemon chicken casseroleYesterday 1:00pm
- 29 American-style diner recipes for weekend entertainingYesterday 6:23am
- Cinnamon doughnutsYesterday 4:17am
- Chicken cacciatoreYesterday 3:00am
- Chilli jamYesterday 2:14am
- Garlic breadYesterday 1:00am
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allYesterday 12:51am
- Chocolate cupcake thickshakeYesterday 12:39am
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJan 18, 2022
- Quinoa zucchini haloumi burgersJan 18, 2022
- BaklavaJan 18, 2022
- Chocolate hazelnut sliceJan 18, 2022
- Chocolate fudge browniesJan 18, 2022