Barbecued squid salad
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 (260g) lebanese cucumbers, sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 10 small (1kg) squid, cleaned
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium (450g) ripe tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh thai basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 medium (400g) red capsicums, cut into 1cm strips
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, extra
Barbecued squid salad
- 1Combine the sugar, salt and vinegar in a small bowl; add the cucumber. Stand for 1 hour.
- 2Meanwhile, rinse the squid and pat dry with paper towel. Cut squid hoods along one side and open them out flat. Using a sharp knife, lightly score the inside surface in a criss-cross pattern. Cut into 3cm-wide strips.
- 3Combine the oil, tomato, basil and ginger in a large bowl. Season with a little sea salt and the pepper.
- 4Heat a barbecue (or grill plate) over a high heat. Barbecue the capsicum for a few minutes on each side or until tender. Add capsicum to the bowl with the tomato dressing.
- 5Season the squid, toss with remaining oil. Barbecue the squid, in batches, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until browned and turns. Add the warm squid to the bowl with the tomato mixture with the undrained pickled cucumber. Toss to combine then divide between four plates.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave. If you can’t find Thai basil, use regular basil or coriander instead.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic sconesYesterday 12:35am
- Rocky roadOct 22, 2020
- Our best homemade sausage rollsOct 22, 2020
- Beautiful buttermilk pancakesOct 22, 2020
- Chinese omelettesOct 22, 2020
- Sausage rollsOct 22, 2020
- Traditional shortbreadOct 22, 2020
- Strawberry & almond friand sliceOct 22, 2020
- Sticky glazed slow-roast pork neckOct 22, 2020
- Roast vegetable terrineOct 22, 2020
- Morning and afternoon tea recipesOct 22, 2020
- Fruit mince piesOct 22, 2020
- Roast pumpkin and couscous saladOct 22, 2020
- Lemon and sugar pancakesOct 22, 2020
- Roast pumpkin, spinach and feta saladOct 22, 2020
- Curried pasta saladOct 22, 2020