- vegetable oil, to grease (optional)
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 cup (150g) wholemeal plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup (70g) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup (65g) coarsely grated vintage cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped basil leaves
- 3/4 cup (185ml) buttermilk
- 1/3 cup (80ml) light olive oil or sunflower oil
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 zucchini (courgettes), about 100g each, coarsely grated
- 1/4 cup (40g) pine nuts, to scatter
- cayenne pepper, to sprinkle
- 1Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan-forced). Line a 12-hole (1/3 cup/80ml) capacity muffin tin with paper cases or grease with a little vegetable oil.
- 2Sift together the flours, baking powder and salt into a large bowl, returning any husks left in the sieve to the bowl. Season well with pepper and then gently stir in the parmesan, cheddar and basil. Make a well in the centre.
- 3In a separate bowl, use a fork to whisk together the buttermilk, olive oil and eggs. Add the zucchini and mix to combine. Add to the flour mixture and use a spatula or large metal spoon to fold together until just combined. (Don’t overmix – the batter should still be a little lumpy.)
- 4Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin holes, dividing evenly. Scatter over the pine nuts and sprinkle with a little cayenne pepper.
- 5Bake in the preheated oven for 25–30 minutes or until the muffins are golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
These muffins are best eaten the day they are baked, however they freeze well – wrap individually in plastic wrap and then seal in an airtight container or freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature. Recipe and image from BakeClass by Anneka Manning (Murdoch Books) RRP $45 available now in all good bookstores and online.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceMar 21, 2019
- Pommes AnnaMar 20, 2019
- Chocolate Easter frecklesMar 20, 2019
- Noughts and crosses chocolate chip easter bunsMar 20, 2019
- 7 creative ways to take damper to the next levelMar 19, 2019
- Easy hot cross bunsMar 18, 2019
- Cream-free spaghetti carbonaraMar 14, 2019
- Goan fish curry with low-carb cauliflower riceMar 13, 2019
- Low-carb turkey and kale lasagneMar 13, 2019
- Mega mushroom burgersMar 13, 2019
- Spinach and ricotta-stuffed chicken parmigianaMar 11, 2019
- Fennel, lemon, pea & prawn risottoMar 11, 2019
- Sweet potato pizza with fig and pancettaMar 11, 2019
- Chamomile honey cakeMar 07, 2019