- 2 1/2 cup (360g) grated zucchini
- 2 cup (440g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3/4 cup (180ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup (160ml) milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 4 cup (600g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup (50g) coarsely chopped water chestnuts
- 750 gram (1½lb) cream cheese, chopped, softened
- 110 gram (3½oz) butter, soften
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lime rind
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lime juice
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup (360g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) honey
- 8 (480g), halved
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease three deep 20cm (8in) round cake pans; line bases and sides with baking paper.
- 2Squeeze grated zucchini with hands, in batches, to remove excess moisture. Place in a bowl.
- 3Whisk sugar and oil in a large bowl with a balloon whisk until combined. Whisk in eggs, one at the time, then milk and vanilla. Fold in combined sifted flour, baking powder and salt, in batches. Fold in zucchini and water chestnuts. Divide mixture among pans; smooth the surface.
- 4Bake cakes for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave cakes in pans for 10 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire racks to cool.
- 5Meanwhile, to make lime cream cheese frosting; beat cream cheese, butter, rind, juice and vanilla in a bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add sifted icing sugar until mixture is smooth and well combined.
- 6Trim tops of cakes level, if needed. Place one cake on a plate or stand; spread with one-third of the frosting. Repeat layering with remaining cakes and frosting. Scrape excess frosting around side to reveal cake beneath.
- 7To make honeyed figs; place honey in a large frying pan over high heat; bring to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes or until golden. Add figs to pan, in batches, turning quickly until coated. Cool.
- 8Decorate cake with honeyed figs, drizzled with honey from pan.
You will need 450g (14½oz) zucchini for this recipe. Cakes can be made a day ahead; store in airtight containers at room temperature. Make lime cream cheese frosting and honeyed figs on the day of serving, just before you are ready to assemble and decorate.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021