- 2 1/2 cup (360g) grated zucchini
- 2 cup (440g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3/4 cup (180ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup (160ml) milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 4 cup (600g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup (50g) coarsely chopped water chestnuts
- 750 gram (1½lb) cream cheese, chopped, softened
- 110 gram (3½oz) butter, soften
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lime rind
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lime juice
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup (360g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) honey
- 8 (480g), halved
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease three deep 20cm (8in) round cake pans; line bases and sides with baking paper.
- 2Squeeze grated zucchini with hands, in batches, to remove excess moisture. Place in a bowl.
- 3Whisk sugar and oil in a large bowl with a balloon whisk until combined. Whisk in eggs, one at the time, then milk and vanilla. Fold in combined sifted flour, baking powder and salt, in batches. Fold in zucchini and water chestnuts. Divide mixture among pans; smooth the surface.
- 4Bake cakes for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave cakes in pans for 10 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire racks to cool.
- 5Meanwhile, to make lime cream cheese frosting; beat cream cheese, butter, rind, juice and vanilla in a bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add sifted icing sugar until mixture is smooth and well combined.
- 6Trim tops of cakes level, if needed. Place one cake on a plate or stand; spread with one-third of the frosting. Repeat layering with remaining cakes and frosting. Scrape excess frosting around side to reveal cake beneath.
- 7To make honeyed figs; place honey in a large frying pan over high heat; bring to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes or until golden. Add figs to pan, in batches, turning quickly until coated. Cool.
- 8Decorate cake with honeyed figs, drizzled with honey from pan.
You will need 450g (14½oz) zucchini for this recipe. Cakes can be made a day ahead; store in airtight containers at room temperature. Make lime cream cheese frosting and honeyed figs on the day of serving, just before you are ready to assemble and decorate.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 26 easy chicken pasta recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Princess-themed birthday cakesYesterday 4:28am
- Over-the-top chocolate and macadamia browniesJun 27, 2022
- 11 mouth-watering jaffles for lunchJun 27, 2022
- 22 vegetarian lasagne recipesJun 27, 2022
- Gluten-free raspberry and lemon syrup cakeJun 27, 2022
- Our best spaghetti bologneseJun 26, 2022
- Traditional Greek recipesJun 26, 2022
- 29 brilliant ways with broccoliniJun 26, 2022
- Roast beef with yorkshire puddingsJun 26, 2022
- 27 gluten-free dinnersJun 26, 2022
- Classic beef lasagneJun 26, 2022