- 200 gram farro (pearled spelt), rinsed and drained
- 2 zucchini (courgettes), thinly sliced lengthways using a mandoline or very sharp knife
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 prunes, pitted and finely chopped
- 50 millilitre apple balsamic vinegar, regular balsamic vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 50 millilitre (1⁄4 cup) vegetable oil
- 60 millilitre (1⁄4 cup) olive oil
- large handful (3⁄4 cup) mixed herb sprigs, such as mint, parsley and dill
- 50 gram (1/3 cup) toasted hazelnuts, roughly
- 1Put the farro into a large saucepan of salted boiling water. When the water comes back to the boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 8–10 minutes, or until the farro is cooked but still has a bite to it. Drain.
- 2Meanwhile, combine the zucchini, onion and prunes in a bowl and add a pinch of salt to soften the raw zucchini.
- 3To make a dressing for the salad, combine the vinegar, mustard and both the oils in a screw-top jar and season with salt and pepper. Put the lid on and shake well to emulsify.
- 4Add the cooked farro to the zucchini, onion and prunes. Tear the herbs into smaller pieces, then add them to the salad along with the dressing, and toss gently to combine. Place the salad in a serving bowl or on plates and scatter over the hazelnuts.
Farro is a spelt-like grain with a nutty flavour and chewy texture. Using it in a salad like this one makes for a great vegetarian summertime meal. Make sure you get the pearled sort: this has been de-hulled and undergone a process that makes it easier to cook and digest – it doesn’t need soaking, you just boil it for 8–10 minutes. We like to cook grains al dente, so they retain their shape and nutrients. If you can’t find farro, pearled barley is a good substitute. While we love this as a main, it is also a great accompaniment to meats and fish. If you don’t have hazelnuts on hand, almonds or toasted seeds will work just as well.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceMar 21, 2019
- Pommes AnnaMar 20, 2019
- Chocolate Easter frecklesMar 20, 2019
- Noughts and crosses chocolate chip easter bunsMar 20, 2019
- 7 creative ways to take damper to the next levelMar 19, 2019
- Easy hot cross bunsMar 18, 2019
- Cream-free spaghetti carbonaraMar 14, 2019
- Goan fish curry with low-carb cauliflower riceMar 13, 2019
- Low-carb turkey and kale lasagneMar 13, 2019
- Mega mushroom burgersMar 13, 2019
- Spinach and ricotta-stuffed chicken parmigianaMar 11, 2019
- Fennel, lemon, pea & prawn risottoMar 11, 2019
- Sweet potato pizza with fig and pancettaMar 11, 2019
- Chamomile honey cakeMar 07, 2019