- 200 gram farro (pearled spelt), rinsed and drained
- 2 zucchini (courgettes), thinly sliced lengthways using a mandoline or very sharp knife
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 prunes, pitted and finely chopped
- 50 millilitre apple balsamic vinegar, regular balsamic vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 50 millilitre (1⁄4 cup) vegetable oil
- 60 millilitre (1⁄4 cup) olive oil
- large handful (3⁄4 cup) mixed herb sprigs, such as mint, parsley and dill
- 50 gram (1/3 cup) toasted hazelnuts, roughly
- 1Put the farro into a large saucepan of salted boiling water. When the water comes back to the boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 8–10 minutes, or until the farro is cooked but still has a bite to it. Drain.
- 2Meanwhile, combine the zucchini, onion and prunes in a bowl and add a pinch of salt to soften the raw zucchini.
- 3To make a dressing for the salad, combine the vinegar, mustard and both the oils in a screw-top jar and season with salt and pepper. Put the lid on and shake well to emulsify.
- 4Add the cooked farro to the zucchini, onion and prunes. Tear the herbs into smaller pieces, then add them to the salad along with the dressing, and toss gently to combine. Place the salad in a serving bowl or on plates and scatter over the hazelnuts.
Farro is a spelt-like grain with a nutty flavour and chewy texture. Using it in a salad like this one makes for a great vegetarian summertime meal. Make sure you get the pearled sort: this has been de-hulled and undergone a process that makes it easier to cook and digest – it doesn’t need soaking, you just boil it for 8–10 minutes. We like to cook grains al dente, so they retain their shape and nutrients. If you can’t find farro, pearled barley is a good substitute. While we love this as a main, it is also a great accompaniment to meats and fish. If you don’t have hazelnuts on hand, almonds or toasted seeds will work just as well.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salted honeycombMay 24, 2019
- Chorizo and tomato omelette with chilli beansMay 23, 2019
- Croque monsieurMay 22, 2019
- Osso buco with gremolataMay 22, 2019
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin marmaladeMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and chai soufflesMay 20, 2019
- Magical mandarin recipesMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019