- ¼ cup (60ml) vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1.5 kilograms chicken thigh fillets, excess fat trimmed
- 400 mL can coconut cream
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (200g) pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 small cauliflower (1kg), halved lengthways
- 2 sprigs fresh curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- lime wedges, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 7 litre (28-cup) cast iron or other flameproof casserole dish (see tip) over medium heat. Cook mustard seeds, cumin seeds and turmeric, stirring for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add chicken; stir to mix well.
- 3Add coconut cream, stock, barley and dijon mustard; season. Reduce heat to low; place cauliflower, cut-side down, on top of chicken mixture. Cover with a tight-fitting lid. Transfer to oven; bake for 1 hour or until chicken and cauliflower are tender.
- 4Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a small frying pan over high heat; cook curry leaves for 30 seconds or until dark green and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on paper towel.
- 5Remove lid from dish; stand curry for 10 minutes. Stir in juice. Serve half the chicken curry topped with crisp curry leaves and lime wedges. Transfer remaining chicken curry to an airtight container; cool, then store.
We used a 25cm x 33cm (10in x 13¼in) oval cast iron casserole dish.If you like, serve with steamed rice or one of the rice or basic quinoa.Refrigerate chicken curry in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Freeze for up to 3 months; thaw in the fridge, then reheat in a microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Sushi riceYesterday 2:00pm
- All the classic curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken, bacon and mushroom stewYesterday 2:00pm
- Basic butter cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect pork curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Curried pork rissolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pancake recipesApr 12, 2021
- Carrot and lentil soup with coriander pestoApr 11, 2021
- Healthy banana breadApr 11, 2021
- Pumpkin soupApr 11, 2021
- Vegetarian chilli beansApr 11, 2021
- Rösti cottage pieApr 11, 2021
- Very vegetarian Mexican recipesApr 11, 2021
- Roast beefApr 11, 2021
- Spicy Mexican soup with chickenApr 11, 2021