- 85 gram packet strawberry jelly crystals
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup thickened cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (140g) coconut
- 40 gram butter
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1Dissolve the jelly crystals in boiling water, add cold water and refrigerate until party set.
- 2To make the gem scones, beat butter and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy; add egg gradually and beat until combined. Stir in sifted flour and milk in two batches; stir until smooth.
- 3Lightly grease three 12 hole gem irons and drop three level teaspoons of mixture into each hole. Bake in a hot oven for about eight minutes or until lightly browned; turn onto wire rack to cool.
- 4Trim rounded tops from gem scones to give a flat surface for joining.
- 5Beat cream with sifted icing sugar in a small bowl until soft peaks form; sandwich scones with whipped cream.
- 6Place a scone on a slotted spoon or egg slide, spoon partly set jelly over the scone and roll carefully in coconut. Repeat with remaining scones and jelly.
- 7Refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until jelly is set; leftover jelly, cake trimmings and cream can be used to make trifle.
The old-fashioned cast gem irons are available from speciality cookware shops, or even second-hand shops. This recipe can be made a day ahead; to store, cover and refrigerate.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Sushi riceYesterday 2:00pm
- All the classic curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken, bacon and mushroom stewYesterday 2:00pm
- Basic butter cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect pork curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Curried pork rissolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pancake recipesApr 12, 2021
- Carrot and lentil soup with coriander pestoApr 11, 2021
- Healthy banana breadApr 11, 2021
- Pumpkin soupApr 11, 2021
- Vegetarian chilli beansApr 11, 2021
- Rösti cottage pieApr 11, 2021
- Very vegetarian Mexican recipesApr 11, 2021
- Roast beefApr 11, 2021
- Spicy Mexican soup with chickenApr 11, 2021