- 5 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1/3 cup self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 3 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon cocoa
- 3/4 cup thickened cream
- 1Grease two deep 20cm round cake pans.
- 2Beat egg whites in medium bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form; gradually add sugar and beat until dissolved between additions. Beat in egg yolks and golden syrup.
- 3Triple sift dry ingredients, fold into mixture. Divide mixture evenly between prepared pans. Bake in a moderately hot oven for about 18 minutes.
- 4Turn sponges immediately onto wire racks to cool.
- 5Beat cream until soft peaks form and join cakes with the cream. Dust the top with a little sifted icing sugar, if desired.
This recipe is best made on the day of serving; to store, cover and refrigerate. Unfilled, the cake is suitable for freezing.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Roast chicken with preserved lemonJun 23, 2022
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJun 23, 2022
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceJun 23, 2022
- Chilli beef with cornbread dumplingsJun 23, 2022
- Lamb shank shepherd's pieJun 23, 2022
- Lemon butter almond sliceJun 23, 2022
- Savoury minceJun 23, 2022
- Traditional minestroneJun 23, 2022
- Banana and cinnamon muffinsJun 23, 2022
- Crunchy low-gi barsJun 23, 2022
- 25 beautiful banana cakesJun 23, 2022
- Express pizza doughJun 23, 2022
- Ricotta gnocchi in fresh tomato sauceJun 23, 2022
- Beef and cheese pieJun 23, 2022
- Chocolate and raspberry tartsJun 23, 2022