- 1 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup custard powder
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 2 tablespoon icing sugar
- 150 gram butter
- 1/3 cup water, approximately
- 6 medium apples
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon soft butter
- 1 passionfruit
- 1 teaspoon milk, approximately
- 1Grease 20cm round sandwich pan. Sift dry ingredients into large bowl, rub in butter. Add enough water to make ingredients cling together. Press dough into ball, knead gently on floured surface until smooth, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2Roll two-thirds of the dough on lightly floured surface until large enough to line base and side of prepared pan. Lift pastry into pan, brush edge of pastry with a little milk.
- 3To make the filling, peel, quarter, core and thinly slice apples. Combine apples, sugar, water, juice and nutmeg in a pan, bring to the boil and cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until apples are tender. Drain the mixture and cool, before spreading into prepare pastry case.
- 4Roll remaining pastry until large enough to cover filling, place pastry over filling and press the edges together, trimming neatly. Brush pastry with a little more milk and cut two slits in the pastry.
- 5Bake in a moderate oven for about 50 minutes or until lightly browned; cool cake in the pan before turning out.
- 6To make the passionfruit icing, sift icing sugar into a small heatproof bowl. Stir in butter, passionfruit pulp and enough milk to make a stiff paste. Stir icing over hot water, until spreadable.
- 7Top the cold Charlotte with passionfruit icing and leave to set before cutting.
This recipe can be made a day ahead; to store, cover and refrigerate. This recipe is not suitable for freezing or microwaving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Strawberry and almond friand sliceYesterday 9:00pm
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaYesterday 6:51am
- Mandarin marmaladeYesterday 6:41am
- Chocolate caramel semifreddo with honeycomb and mandarinYesterday 5:51am
- Mandarin and chai soufflesYesterday 5:13am
- Magical mandarin recipesYesterday 4:37am
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019
- Slow cooker vegetable minestroneMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker ribollitaMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker borschtMay 14, 2019