- 1 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup custard powder
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 2 tablespoon icing sugar
- 150 gram butter
- 1/3 cup water, approximately
- 6 medium apples
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon soft butter
- 1 passionfruit
- 1 teaspoon milk, approximately
- 1Grease 20cm round sandwich pan. Sift dry ingredients into large bowl, rub in butter. Add enough water to make ingredients cling together. Press dough into ball, knead gently on floured surface until smooth, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2Roll two-thirds of the dough on lightly floured surface until large enough to line base and side of prepared pan. Lift pastry into pan, brush edge of pastry with a little milk.
- 3To make the filling, peel, quarter, core and thinly slice apples. Combine apples, sugar, water, juice and nutmeg in a pan, bring to the boil and cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until apples are tender. Drain the mixture and cool, before spreading into prepare pastry case.
- 4Roll remaining pastry until large enough to cover filling, place pastry over filling and press the edges together, trimming neatly. Brush pastry with a little more milk and cut two slits in the pastry.
- 5Bake in a moderate oven for about 50 minutes or until lightly browned; cool cake in the pan before turning out.
- 6To make the passionfruit icing, sift icing sugar into a small heatproof bowl. Stir in butter, passionfruit pulp and enough milk to make a stiff paste. Stir icing over hot water, until spreadable.
- 7Top the cold Charlotte with passionfruit icing and leave to set before cutting.
This recipe can be made a day ahead; to store, cover and refrigerate. This recipe is not suitable for freezing or microwaving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Blackberry parfaitYesterday 12:43am
- Pork silverside roast with maple-roasted vegiesJul 21, 2019
- Quick & easy minestroneJul 19, 2019
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesJul 19, 2019
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesJul 18, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladJul 18, 2019
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeJul 15, 2019
- French toastJul 13, 2019