- 300 gram broccoli, cut into florets
- 300 gram baby brussels sprouts
- 320 gram purple curly kale, trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 1 lemon (140g)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 140 gram wholegrain sourdough bread, cut into pieces
- 75 gram thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
- 1 onion (200g), sliced thinly
- 4 clove garlic, sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup (45g) hazelnuts, roasted, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chicken stock
- 1Cook broccoli in a large saucepan of boiling water for 2 minutes or until just tender but still crisp. Drain immediately; refresh in iced water. Drain well. Repeat with sprouts, then kale.
- 2Remove rind from lemon with a zester, into long thin strips (or grate finely). Squeeze juice from lemon; you will need 2 tablespoons juice.
- 3Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook bread pieces, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan.
- 4Heat remaining oil in same pan over medium heat; cook prosciutto, stirring, for 2 minutes or until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towel. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook onion, stirring, for 10 minutes or until very soft. Add garlic; stir for 2 minutes. Add vegetables, rind and nuts; cook, stirring for 5 minutes until combined.
- 5Increase heat to high, add stock and juice; simmer 1 minute or until vegetables are tender. Season to taste. Just before serving, scatter with toasted bread.
Broccoli, brussels sprouts and kale are all crucifers members of the cabbage family, known for its sulphur content, which is dectectable when these vegetables are overcooked. Sulporophane though is a powerful phytochemical that may protect against cancer.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 30 brilliant barramundi dishes to make for dinnerYesterday 2:00pm
- 35 vegetarian dishes featuring mushroomAug 12, 2022
- Mushroom soupAug 11, 2022
- 46 creative ways with carrotsAug 11, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022