- 300 gram broccoli, cut into florets
- 300 gram baby brussels sprouts
- 320 gram purple curly kale, trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 1 lemon (140g)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 140 gram wholegrain sourdough bread, cut into pieces
- 75 gram thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
- 1 onion (200g), sliced thinly
- 4 clove garlic, sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup (45g) hazelnuts, roasted, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chicken stock
- 1Cook broccoli in a large saucepan of boiling water for 2 minutes or until just tender but still crisp. Drain immediately; refresh in iced water. Drain well. Repeat with sprouts, then kale.
- 2Remove rind from lemon with a zester, into long thin strips (or grate finely). Squeeze juice from lemon; you will need 2 tablespoons juice.
- 3Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook bread pieces, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan.
- 4Heat remaining oil in same pan over medium heat; cook prosciutto, stirring, for 2 minutes or until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towel. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook onion, stirring, for 10 minutes or until very soft. Add garlic; stir for 2 minutes. Add vegetables, rind and nuts; cook, stirring for 5 minutes until combined.
- 5Increase heat to high, add stock and juice; simmer 1 minute or until vegetables are tender. Season to taste. Just before serving, scatter with toasted bread.
Broccoli, brussels sprouts and kale are all crucifers members of the cabbage family, known for its sulphur content, which is dectectable when these vegetables are overcooked. Sulporophane though is a powerful phytochemical that may protect against cancer.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Winter vegie bowlYesterday 2:53am
- Spicy zucchini and ricotta pasta shellsYesterday 1:35am
- Cauliflower recipesJul 05, 2020
- Silverside frittersJul 05, 2020
- 10 meals that are quick, easy and healthyJul 05, 2020
- Perfect pumpkin recipesJul 05, 2020
- Pumpkin pieJul 05, 2020
- Double chocolate brownie cookiesJul 03, 2020
- Osso buco with gremolataJul 02, 2020
- Quince galetteJul 02, 2020
- Easy rissole recipesJul 02, 2020
- Silverbeet and ricotta dumplingsJul 02, 2020
- Pear & ginger upside-down cakeJul 02, 2020
- Coffee & cardamon brisketJul 02, 2020
- Rocky roadJul 02, 2020
- Churros with hot chocolateJul 02, 2020