- 1 1/2 cup (300g) dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 kilogram (3 pounds) french-trimmed lamb shanks
- 1 brown onion (150g), chopped finely
- 2 carrots (240g), chopped finely
- 2 stalks celery (300g), trimmed, sliced thinly
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cup (500ml) chicken stock
- 1 litre (4 cups) water
- 8 stalks silver beet (swiss chard) (400g), trimmed, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1Place chickpeas in a medium bowl, cover with water, stand overnight; drain. Rinse under cold water; drain.
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; cook lamb, in batches, until browned. Remove from pan.
- 3Cook onion, carrot, celery, garlic and cumin in same pan, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Return lamb to pan with stock and the water; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 2 hours.
- 4Remove pan from heat; when lamb is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones. Discard bones; chop meat coarsely. Refrigerate cooled soup mixture and lamb meat, covered separately, overnight.
- 5Discard fat from surface of soup mixture. Place soup mixture, meat and chickpeas in a large saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- 6Add silver beet and juice to soup; simmer, uncovered, until silver beet just wilts. Divide soup into serving bowls; accompany with a warmed loaf of ciabatta, if you like.
Recipe is suitable to freeze before adding silver beet. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat in a saucepan and start from step 6. You need to start this recipe the day before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy hot cross bunsYesterday 5:00pm
- Cream-free spaghetti carbonaraMar 14, 2019
- Goan fish curry with low-carb cauliflower riceMar 13, 2019
- Low-carb turkey and kale lasagneMar 13, 2019
- Mega mushroom burgersMar 13, 2019
- Fennel, lemon, pea & prawn risottoMar 11, 2019
- Spinach and ricotta-stuffed chicken parmigianaMar 11, 2019
- Sweet potato pizza with fig and pancettaMar 11, 2019
- Lamington popsMar 06, 2019
- Can you eat meat on Ash Wednesday?Mar 05, 2019
- Whole cauliflower with creme fraiche dressingMar 04, 2019
- Subscribe to Women's Weekly FOODMar 02, 2019
- Tomato cheesecakes with green olivesFeb 28, 2019
- Prawn and vegetable japanese hash brownsFeb 28, 2019