- 1.5 kilogram whole snapper
- 1 medium lemon (140g), sliced thinly
- 5 fresh bay leaves
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green onion (scallion), sliced thinly lengthways
- 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 medium lemon (140g), cut into wedges
- 1 cup (300g) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 8 green onions (scallions), chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon drained baby capers, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, approximately
- 1To make green onion mayo, blend mayonnaise, green onion and capers until smooth; add enough juice so that mayonnaise is of a pouring consistency. Season. Cover; refrigerate until required.
- 2Score fish through the thickest part of the flesh three times on each side. Fill cavity with lemon slices, bay leaves, parsley and garlic. Drizzle outside of fish with oil; season.
- 3Wrap fish in lightly oiled foil, or place in an oiled hinged fish grill. Cook fish in a covered barbecue, using indirect heat and following manufacturer’s instructions, for 20 minutes or until fish is just cooked through.
- 4Serve fish topped with green onion and parsley; serve with green onion mayo and lemon wedges.
To ensure you’re buying the freshest fish, buy it from a fishmonger with a high turnover. One of the best indicators of freshness is the eyes; if they’re clear and bulging the fish is fresh. The older the fish, the more sunken the eyes will become. You can place the fish on a banana leaf, or wrap it in a banana leaf to prevent the fish from sticking to the barbecue. Fresh banana leaves are available from greengrocers, Asian grocery stores and some major supermarkets. Green onion mayo can be made up to 2 days ahead; keep, covered, in an airtight container, in the fridge.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate peanut butter slab cakeAug 23, 2019
- Citrus almond twistAug 20, 2019
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeAug 20, 2019
- 10 quick and easy dessertsAug 20, 2019
- Teriyaki salmonAug 19, 2019
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkAug 19, 2019
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaAug 19, 2019
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019