- 375 g dried white beans
- 400 g heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 175 g mini vine sweet capsicums
- 1 bunch (350g) watercress
- 3 medium (750g) avocados
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup (80ml) red wine vinegar
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Line a large oven tray with foil; cover with a wire rack.
- 2Place dried beans in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover by 5cm. Bring to the boil over high heat; boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover; stand for 1 hour.
- 3Meanwhile, cut tomatoes in half; place cut-side up on wire rack, then season. Roast for 1¼ hours, or until tomatoes are dehydrated and slightly golden.
- 4Meanwhile, quarter capsicums; remove seeds and membrane. Place on an oven tray; drizzle with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil; season. Roast for 30 minutes, or until soft. Cool, reserving any juices.
- 5Drain and rinse beans. Return to pan with enough water to cover by 5cm; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 40 minutes, or until tender. Drain. Return to pan with ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar; season.
- 6Pick sprigs from watercress; discard large woody stems. You should have about 3 cups of sprigs.
- 7For avocado hummus, coarsely chop 2 avocados; process with 1 cup cooled cooked beans, the reserved capsicum cooking juices, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and remaining vinegar until smooth. Season.
- 8Cut the remaining avocado into slices. Place remaining beans, the watercress, roasted tomatoes, capsicum and the sliced avocado in a large bowl; toss gently to combine.
- 9Spread avocado hummus on a large platter; top with salad. Drizzle with a little more olive oil before serving.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.If you're short on time, drain and rinse three 400g cans cannellini beans for the same quantity of cooked dried beans. Skip step 2 and the first half of step 5; combine canned beans with the oil and vinegar and continue as directed. Use 3 regular capsicum; one each yellow, orange and red instead of the mini vine capsicums.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsJan 25, 2020
- Lamington popsJan 25, 2020
- Churros with hot chocolateJan 16, 2020
- Ricotta cheesecake with mangoJan 16, 2020
- Bourbon & molasses barbecue sauceJan 16, 2020
- Passionfruit cheesecake sliceJan 15, 2020
- Paprika chicken with chilli sauceJan 15, 2020
- Crab and zucchini spaghettiJan 15, 2020
- Quick three-cheese frittataJan 15, 2020
- Prawn cocktail platterJan 15, 2020
- Chicken skewers with green olive dressingJan 15, 2020
- Three-ingredient plum tartJan 15, 2020
- Linguine with garlic prawnsJan 15, 2020
- Lamb kofta with yoghurtJan 15, 2020
- Scone recipesJan 15, 2020