- 1/3 cup (50g) raisins, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup (40g) sultanas, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup (40g) dried currants
- 1 apple (130g), grated coarsely
- 1/3 cup (80ml) whisky
- 1/3 cup (75g) demerara sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 40 gram frozen butter, grated coarsely
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 2 tablespoon demerara sugar, extra
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 125 gram cold butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1To make fruit mince, combine dried fruit, apple, whisky, sugar, rind and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Cover; stand 48 hours. Stir in butter.
- 2Make cinnamon pastry. Sift flour and cinnamon into a large bowl; using fingertips, rub in butter until mixture is crumbly. Add egg; mix until ingredients just come together. Knead dough lightly on floured surface until smooth. Enclose in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 3Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease 15 holes of two 12-hole (2 tablespoon/40ml) flat-based patty pans. Roll pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line pans. Cut 15 x 7cm (2½-inch) rounds from pastry. Line pan holes with pastry, barely fill with fruit mince.
- 4Cut 15 x 6cm (2¼-inch) rounds from pastry. Cut small rounds from centres of each round; place over filling, press edges together. Brush pies with egg; sprinkle with extra sugar.
- 5Bake pies about 30 minutes. Stand 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, on a wire rack to cool.
You can also make this pastry using a food processor: Process flour, cinnamon and butter until crumbly; with motor operating, add egg, process until ingredients just come together. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth. Fruit mince can be refrigerated for several weeks, stirring every two to three days. Pies can be made up to a week ahead, store in an airtight container. Pies can be prepared and frozen, unbaked, in their pans, for up to one month. Bake from frozen in a preheated oven (180°C/350°F) for about 30 minutes.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Sensational summer dessertsToday 1:00pm
- Classic rum ballsToday 4:29am
- Salmon gravlax platterYesterday 1:00pm
- Our best bruschetta recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- 13 Christmas cookies recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Gluten-free and dairy-free steamed puddingYesterday 1:00pm
- Cherry tomato and goats cheese bruschettaYesterday 1:00pm
- Sticky chicken wings with dipping sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Spiced pumpkin pies with honey & nutsYesterday 1:00pm
- Perfect barbecue prawnsYesterday 1:00pm
- Garlic breadNov 24, 2020
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaNov 23, 2020
- Mouthwatering glazed Christmas ham recipesNov 23, 2020
- Garlic beef stir-fryNov 23, 2020
- Easy recipes with leeksNov 23, 2020