- 850 gram small beetroots
- 2 x 400g cans brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion (200g), chopped finely
- 2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chicken stock
- 150 gram baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup (125ml) french dressing
- 8 thick pork sausages (960g)
- 1Discard leaves and all but 2.5cm (1-inch) of the stalk from each beetroot. Boil, steam or microwave unpeeled beetroots for about 20 minutes or until just tender; drain. When cool enough to handle, peel then quarter beetroots; place in a large bowl with lentils.
- 2Heat oil in a large frying pan; cook onion, seeds and spices, stirring, until onion softens. Add stock; bring to the boil. Remove from heat; stir in spinach.
- 3Add spinach mixture and dressing to beetroot and lentil mixture in bowl; mix gently to combine. Season to taste.
- 4Cook sausages in same cleaned pan. When cool enough to handle, slice sausages; serve with salad.
Using canned lentils instead of dried really reduces the cooking time in this recipe. If you like, you can make your own simple dressing for this salad: Combine 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, 1 crushed garlic clove, ¼ cup olive oil and ½ cup red wine vinegar in a screw-top jar; shake well. Speed up this recipe further by using a 450g (14½-ounce) can of baby beetroot, drained and quartered, instead of cooking the fresh beetroot.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooker dessert recipesYesterday 1:54am
- Christmas in July recipesYesterday 1:30am
- Sustainable chowderJul 09, 2020
- Sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Perfect puff pastry recipesJul 09, 2020
- Banana bread with passionfruit icingJul 09, 2020
- Delicious roast chicken dinnersJul 09, 2020
- Spaghetti marinaraJul 09, 2020
- Seafood chowderJul 09, 2020
- Cinnamon sugar palmiersJul 09, 2020
- Our best homemade sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Our best hummus recipesJul 09, 2020
- Cornflake cookiesJul 08, 2020
- Vegetarian moussakaJul 08, 2020