Labne (yoghurt spread)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 500 gram thick greek yoghurt
- 1/2 cup mint and chives, each finely chopped
- extra virgin olive oil, to serve
- 3 cup self-raising flour
- 100 gram butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried figs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
Walnut fruit bread with labne
- 1To make labne; place a sieve over a large bowl. Line with a piece of cheesecloth. Stir salt into yoghurt and spoon into cloth. Gather corners and loosely secure. Chill for 24 hours.
- 2Transfer firm yoghurt to bowl, discarding muslin and whey. Roll yoghurt into golf-ball size balls. Arrange on tray and chill 2 hours.
- 3To make fruit bread; preheat oven to hot, 200°C. Dust an oven tray with a little plain flour. Sift flour into a bowl. Add butter and rub in using fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- 4In a small bowl, toss walnuts in honey. Add to flour with dried fruit, stirring to combine. Stir in combined milk and egg and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 1-2 minutes, until smooth.
- 5Shape into 2 x 25cm logs. Place on tray. Score tops with a sharp knife. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until bread is golden and sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- 6When ready to serve, roll yoghurt balls in combined herbs to coat. Drizzle with oil and accompany with sliced walnut fruit bread.
To preserve uncoated labne, prepare up to the end of Step 2. Place in a sterilised jar with sprigs of herbs, sliced garlic and chilli. Pour enough oil over to cover. Seal and store in fridge for up to 1 week.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Citrus almond twistToday 2:51am
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeToday 2:31am
- 10 quick and easy dessertsToday 2:02am
- Teriyaki salmonYesterday 11:44pm
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkYesterday 1:23am
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaYesterday 12:02am
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019
- 25 magical mushroom recipesAug 07, 2019