- 9 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) brandy
- 3/4 cup (180ml) orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup (180g) finely chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cup (150g) packaged breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cloves and allspice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 cup (500ml) water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 strip orange rind
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease deep 20cm x 30cm ovenproof dish; line with baking paper, extending paper 5cm over short sides.
- 2Beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup (110g) of the sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Transfer mixture to large bowl; stir in brandy, juice and extract, then nuts, breadcrumbs and sifted spices and soda.
- 3Beat egg whites in large bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until sugar dissolves between additions; fold into walnut mixture, in two batches. Pour mixture into dish.
- 4Bake cake about 40 minutes. Cool cake in dish.
- 5Meanwhile, to make syrup stir ingredients in small saucepan over heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; boil, uncovered, without stirring, 10 minutes.
- 6Pour hot syrup over cake.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 43 polenta recipes for dinner or dessertYesterday 5:51am
- Rhubarb and strawberry sponge puddingsJun 30, 2022
- 18 gorgeous green curriesJun 30, 2022
- What to make with your preserved lemonJun 30, 2022
- Nacho bowlsJun 30, 2022
- Preserved lemon, mint and raisin couscous saladJun 30, 2022
- Tomato-braised lamb shanks with creamy polentaJun 30, 2022
- What food is in season in July?Jun 30, 2022
- Choo-choo train birthday cakeJun 30, 2022
- Cheese and silverbeet borekJun 29, 2022
- Minestrone with barley and greensJun 29, 2022
- 42 perfect puddingsJun 29, 2022
- Tzatziki dipJun 29, 2022