- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1½ cups (225g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup (80ml) milk
- 225 g butter, chopped, softened
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 250 g crème fraiche
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- ¾ cup (240g) raspberyy jam
- 125 g raspberries
- 125 g butter, softened
- 1½ cups (240g) icing sugar
- 1½ tablespoons milk
- Few drops rose pink food colouring
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and flour 2 x 20cm round cake pans; line bases with baking paper.
- 2Place eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder, milk and butter in the bowl of a large food processor. Process until well combined. Divide mixture evenly between pans; smooth tops.
- 3Bake cakes for about 25 minutes. The cakes are cooked when they are golden brown and coming away from the side of the pan. Leave cakes in pans for 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire racks to cool.
- 4Beat butter in a small bowl with an electric mixer until as white as possible. Gradually beat in half the sifted icing sugar, then the milk, then remaining icing sugar. Beat until the mixture is smooth and spreadable. Tint with colouring.
- 5Beat cream, crème fraiche and icing sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until firm peaks form.
- 6Split cakes in half. Place one layer on a serving plate. Spread with one-third each of the jam and cream mixture; sprinkle with one-third of the raspberries. Repeat twice, ending with a cake layer.
- 7Gently spread Butter Cream over top and side of cake, scraping the side to give a "naked" cake effect. Decorate with fresh flowers or extra raspberries, if desired.
Un-filled cake suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.Have butter, eggs and milk at room temperature before you start to bake. Cake is best made on the day of serving. Cake can be layered up to 6 hours before serving; keep refrigerated. Stand cake at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Homemade mint sauceToday 1:00am
- Roast pork with apple sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaYesterday 1:00pm
- Savoury apple sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- MayonnaiseYesterday 1:00pm
- 32 amazing ways with applesYesterday 1:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 1:00pm
- Jerk chickensYesterday 1:00pm
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toOct 14, 2021
- Ice blocks and popsicles to cool you downOct 14, 2021
- Quiche LorraineOct 13, 2021
- Mixed berry crumbleOct 13, 2021
- Orange cake recipe collectionOct 13, 2021