Vegie curry pies
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion (150g), sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons penang curry paste
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
- 2 baby (finger) eggplants (120g), peeled, sliced
- 1 potato (200g), cut into 1.5cm (¾-inch) cubes
- 1 kumara (orange sweet potato) (250g), cut into 1.5cm (¾-inch) cubes
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup (75g) coarsely chopped roasted cashews
- 1 cup (120g) frozen peas
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
Vegie curry pies
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- 2Heat vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; cook onion, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add curry paste; cook for a further 2 minutes or until fragrant. Stir in coconut milk; bring to a simmer. Add eggplant, potato and kumara; cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; stir in juice, sesame oil, nuts and peas; season to taste. Spread mixture in a shallow tray; cool in the freezer for about 5 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, using one of four 1-cup (250ml) ramekins as a guide, cut four rounds from pastry, 2cm (¾ inch) larger than the dish.
- 4Spoon curry mixture evenly into ramekins. Lightly brush outer rims of ramekins with a little of the beaten egg; cover with pastry lids, pressing the overhanging pastry against the sides. Brush pastry with a little more egg. Cut a small slit in the top of each pie. Place pies on an oven tray.
- 5Bake pies for 15 minutes or until golden.
We used desiree potatoes as they tend to hold their shape well when cooked, but any all-round variety, such as sebago or coliban, is fine.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafToday 1:50am
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoyYesterday 2:00pm
- Stuffed capsicumYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced beef nachosYesterday 2:00pm
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaYesterday 2:00pm
- Curried sausagesYesterday 2:00pm
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamYesterday 5:00am
- Rosé sangriaSep 23, 2020
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeSep 23, 2020
- Gluten-free treats and baked goodsSep 23, 2020
- Beef rissoles and mashSep 23, 2020
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingSep 23, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesSep 23, 2020
- Easy choc-chip biscuit recipesSep 23, 2020
- Barbecued salmon with salsa criollaSep 23, 2020