- 600 grams (1¼lb) dutch cream potatoes, peeled
- ⅓ cup (80ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 medium eggplants (1.2kg)
- 1 cup (200g) dried French-style green lentils
- 1 medium onion (150g), chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 fresh long red chilli, chopped finely
- 1 medium carrot (120g), chopped finely
- 1 medium red capsicum (bell pepper) (200g), chopped finely
- 2 cups (500ml) bottled tomato passata
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 200 g (6½oz) firm fetta, crumbled (see tip)
- ½ cup (50g) grated mozzarella (see tip)
- 1½ cups (360g) fresh ricotta
- 1 cup (280g) greek yoghurt
- 3 eggs, beaten lightly
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Lightly oil a large oven tray.
- 2Cut potatoes into 1cm (½in) thick slices; place in a single layer on tray. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil, top with 2 teaspoons of the oregano, then season. Turn potato slices to coat evenly. Bake for 30 minutes or until browned. Transfer cooked potatoes to a baking-paper-lined tray.
- 3Meanwhile, cut 3 eggplants lengthways, into 1cm (½in) thick slices. Place eggplant in a single layer on two trays; brush with 1 tablespoon of the oil, season and scatter with 1 teaspoon of the oregano. Working in batches, cook eggplant slices on a heated chargrill plate (or chargrill pan or barbecue) for 5 minutes each side or until browned and tender. Transfer cooked eggplant to baking-paper-lined trays.
- 4Place lentils and 1 litre (4 cups) water in a medium saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Drain; rinse under cold water, drain well.
- 5Chop remaining eggplant into 2cm (¾in) pieces. Heat remaining oil in a large heavy-based saucepan; cook onion, garlic and chilli for 4 minutes or until soft. Add chopped eggplant; cook 5 minutes or until golden and softened. Stir in carrot and capsicum; cook for 4 minutes. Stir in passata and ½ cup (125ml) water, the thyme and remaining oregano. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until eggplant is soft. Stir in drained lentils; season.
- 6Make ricotta bechamel.
- 7Arrange potato slices in a single layer in an oiled 3-litre (12-cup) capacity, 22.5cm x 36cm (9in x 14½in) ovenproof dish; top with half the tomato mixture, then arrange half the eggplant slices on top in a single layer. Repeat with remaining tomato mixture and remaining eggplant. Spoon ricotta bechamel on top, sprinkle with fetta and mozzarella; drizzle with oil.
- 8Bake for 55 minutes or until heated through and top is golden. Stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 9Whisk ingredients in a medium bowl until combined and smooth.
Tip Check the label of the cheeses to ensure they are suitable for vegetarians.Serve it Serve with a mixed green salad; if you like.Store it Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 12 easy Japanese dishesYesterday 11:00pm
- Roast lambYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheese delightsYesterday 2:00pm
- Cauliflower cream soup with mushroomsYesterday 2:00pm
- Healthy lunchbox recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- How to cook corned beef in a pressure cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Savoury apple sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesecake recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Corned beef silverside with parsley chat potatoesYesterday 2:00pm
- Our favourite family roastsYesterday 2:00pm
- Healthy and tasty low-fat recipesJul 30, 2020
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseJul 30, 2020
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toJul 30, 2020
- Lamb shanks massamanJul 29, 2020
- Healthy banana breadJul 29, 2020
- Sensational savoury piesJul 29, 2020