- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (150g), chopped finely
- 1 medium carrot (120g), chopped coarsely
- 2 stalks celery (300g), trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 1 medium parsnip (250g), chopped coarsely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200 grams button mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, plus extra leaves to serve
- ¼ cup (70g) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable stock
- 400 gram can diced tomatoes
- 150 grams green beans, trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 2 x 400g cans brown lentils, drained, rinsed
- 300 grams potatoes, chopped coarsely
- 300 grams orange sweet potato, chopped coarsely
- 60 grams butter
- ½ cup (40g) finely grated parmesan-style cheese
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; cook onion, carrot, celery, parsnip and garlic, stirring, for 10 minutes or until vegetables soften. Add mushrooms, bay leaves and the chopped rosemary; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in tomato paste, stock and canned tomatoes; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 20 minutes or until thickened. Add beans and lentils; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaves. Season to taste.
- 2Meanwhile, boil, steam or microwave potato and sweet potato, separately, until tender; drain. Mash potato with half the butter until smooth; season. Mash sweet potato with remaining butter until smooth; season.
- 3Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- 4Spoon lentil mixture evenly into four shallow 1¾-cup (430ml) ovenproof dishes. Cover filling with both mash mixtures (see tip); sprinkle with parmesan.
- 5Bake pies for 20 minutes or until cheese is browned. Serve pies topped with extra rosemary.
For a decorative mash top, spoon each mash into a piping bag fitted with a fluted tube; pipe onto filling.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic rum ballsToday 4:29am
- Garlic breadToday 1:00am
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaYesterday 11:55pm
- Garlic beef stir-fryYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy recipes with leeksYesterday 1:00pm
- Show-stopping Christmas recipes you'll be famous forYesterday 1:00pm
- Mouthwatering glazed Christmas ham recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Fettuccine carbonaraYesterday 5:37am
- White ChristmasNov 22, 2020
- Perfect roast potatoesNov 22, 2020
- Baked chocolate and caramel cheesecakeNov 22, 2020
- Christmas fruit and spice friandsNov 22, 2020
- Classic boiled Christmas puddingNov 22, 2020
- Pork and fennel sausage rollsNov 22, 2020
- Best edible Christmas giftsNov 22, 2020
- Perfect pad thaiNov 20, 2020