- 1 1/3 cups (200g) white spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 3/4 cup (180ml) almond milk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (120g) mashed cooked pumpkin (see tip)
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup, plus extra to serve
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- cooking oil spray
- 4 scoops vanilla soy ice-cream
- 2/3 cup (80g) coarsely chopped pecans, roasted
- 1Sift flour, baking powder, salt and mixed spice together into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine almond milk, oil, mashed pumpkin, maple syrup and vanilla until smooth.
- 2Pour pumpkin mixture into flour mixture; stir until just combined but still with some lumps. Stand batter for 10 minutes.
- 3Preheat waffle iron; spray with cooking oil. Gently stir batter. Pour ¼ cup of batter onto the centre of each square section of the waffle iron to just cover the base. Close the lid; cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter to make a total of 8 waffles.
- 4Serve waffles topped with scoops of ice-cream, chopped pecans and extra maple syrup.
For mashed pumpkin, cook 180g (5½oz) peeled, seeded, chopped pumpkin with 1 tablespoon of water, in a microwave-safe bowl, covered with plastic wrap on HIGH (100%) for 8 minutes or until tender; mash. Alternatively, steam pumpkin in a steamer over a saucepan of simmering water until tender; mash.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easter chocolate bunny bottomsToday 12:54am
- Easter bunny cakeYesterday 5:00pm
- Slow-cooked pickled porkApr 15, 2019
- Sausage casseroleApr 15, 2019
- PikeletsApr 15, 2019
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeApr 15, 2019
- Creamy bacon and fish pie with potato toppingApr 14, 2019
- Roast lambApr 14, 2019
- Roasted mushroom with baked eggsApr 10, 2019
- Chicken skewers with peach caprese saladApr 05, 2019
- Malted hazelnut layer cakeApr 05, 2019
- Salted caramelsApr 04, 2019
- Plum & hazelnut clafoutisApr 04, 2019
- Chocolate freckle Easter eggsApr 02, 2019
- White chocolate Easter bunny cupcakesApr 01, 2019