- 1 cup French-style green lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (150g), chopped coarsely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 medium carrot (120g), chopped coarsely
- 200 grams swiss brown mushrooms, halved
- 400 grams grape tomatoes
- 1 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable stock
- 60 grams baby spinach
- fresh thyme leaves, extra, to serve
- 1 litre (4 cups) vegetable stock
- 1 cup (170g) polenta (cornmeal)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1Cook lentils in a medium saucepan of boiling water, uncovered, for 12 minutes or until just tender; drain.
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook onion, garlic and seeds, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add carrot, mushrooms and tomatoes; cook covered, for 10 minutes, or until carrot softens. Stir in paste; cook for 1 minute. Add in stock; bring to the boil. Cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes or until thickened slightly. Stir in lentils and spinach; season to taste. Cover to keep warm.
- 3Make polenta topping: Bring stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Gradually add polenta and thyme to stock, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until polenta thickens. Stir in oil and yeast. Season to taste.
- 4Preheat grill (broiler) on high. Place lentil mixture in a 2-litre (8-cup) ovenproof dish; spread with polenta topping. Grill for 15 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- 5Serve topped with extra thyme. Season to taste.
French-style green lentils, grown in Australia, are related to the famous French lentils du puy; these green-blue, tiny lentils have a nutty, earthy flavour and a hardy nature that allows them to be rapidly cooked without disintegrating.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nectarine and almond tartFeb 21, 2019
- Sugar-free chocolate cakeFeb 20, 2019
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Gluten-free hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Best ever choc-chip hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Chorizo and capscium savoury bread puddingFeb 13, 2019
- Caramel cheesecake sliceFeb 13, 2019
- Delicious recipes to back up your gut healthFeb 13, 2019
- Valentine's Day dinners worth staying in forFeb 12, 2019
- Turmeric dosa with green chilli potatoesFeb 10, 2019
- Healthy steamed fish and vegetable parcelsFeb 10, 2019
- Vegan tiramisuFeb 10, 2019
- Indian-style gnocchi with green veg masalaFeb 10, 2019
- Grain-free coconut granolaFeb 10, 2019
- Banana, coconut & rosemary nice-creamFeb 10, 2019