This recipe and more great vegan recipes can be found in our #veganlife cookbook.
- 500 grams (1lb) macaroni
- 30 grams (1oz) vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup 40g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups (750ml) macadamia milk
- 225 grams (7oz) grated vegan mozzarella
- 2/3 cup (55g) grated vegan parmesan
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
Tempeh bacon bits
- 300 grams (9½oz) tempeh
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1Make tempeh bacon bits: Crumble tempeh into tiny pieces. Place in two batches in a doubled piece of paper towel; squeeze tightly to remove excess moisture. Whisk maple syrup, smoked paprika and tamari in a small bowl. Heat olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat; cook tempeh, stirring, for 8 minutes, breaking it up further with a wooden spoon, or until lightly browned and very dry. Add smoked paprika mixture; cook for a further 10 minutes or until dark, dry and crumbly. Drain on paper towel; season. Cool.
- 2Cook macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8 minutes or until almost tender; drain. Return macaroni to pan.
- 3Meanwhile, heat margarine in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add flour, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and garlic powder; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until smooth and combined. Gradually add macadamia milk, stirring continuously, until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in vegan cheeses and nutritional yeast until cheeses melt; season to taste.
- 4Stir hot cheese sauce into hot macaroni until combined. Spoon macaroni mixture into bowls. Serve topped with tempeh bacon bits.
Tempeh bacon bits will keep refrigerated or up to 1 week. Scatter over baked sweet potatoes or salads for texture and flavour.