- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup custard powder
- 3 cup milk
- 300 millilitre carton thickened cream
- 60 gram butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 20 gram butter
- 3 tablespoon passion fruit pulp
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C. Lightly grease a 23cm square cake pan and line with baking paper, leaving a 2cm overhang.
- 2Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Bake pastry sheets for 10-12 minutes until golden. Gently flatten pastry with hand. Trim pastry sheets to fit base of prepared cake pan. Lay 1 sheet in pan.
- 3In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornflour and custard powder. Combine milk and cream in a bowl. Add a little to the sugar mixture to form a paste. Blend remaining milk mixture into sugar mixture, stirring until smooth.
- 4Add butter and bring to the boil on medium, stirring. Reduce heat to very low and simmer, stirring, for 4-5 minutes until mixture is thick and smooth. Remove from heat. Add egg yolks and vanilla bean paste. Pour over pastry sheet. Top with remaining sheet. Chill for 1 hour.
- 5Combine icing sugar and butter in a small heatproof bowl. Stir in enough passion fruit pulp to make a smooth paste. Place over a saucepan of simmering water, and heat gently, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until mixture is a spreadable consistency. Spread over pastry. Chill for 30 minutes until set. Cut into squares to serve.
This slice is best made the day before serving. Line base and 2 sides of cake pan with 1 piece of baking paper. Repeat with remaining 2 slides. These will act as levers when removing slice.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Seeded parmesan crispsJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- Boston baked beansToday 5:03am
- Dessert recipes starring fresh peachesToday 4:18am
- 25 pasta recipesToday 1:08am
- Homemade mint sauceToday 1:00am
- Our best cupcake recipesYesterday 11:12pm
- Our best banana breadYesterday 11:00pm
- Lamb rack with sourdough, lemon and herb crustYesterday 10:43pm
- Lamb chops with slow-roast tomatoesYesterday 9:00pm
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeYesterday 5:00pm
- Roast stuffed mushroomsYesterday 1:00pm
- Potato samosasYesterday 1:00pm
- Breakfast and brunch recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Banana pancakes with butterscotch sauceYesterday 1:00pm