- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (75g) cornflour
- 1/4 cup (30g) custard powder
- 2 1/2 cup (625ml) milk
- 30 gram unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (180ml) thickened cream
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon softened butter
- 1/4 cup (60ml) passionfruit pulp
- 1Preheat oven to 240°C (220°C fan-forced). Grease 22cm deep square cake pan; line with foil, extend foil 10cm over sides of pan.
- 2Place each sheet on separate greased oven trays. Bake for about 15 minutes; cool. Flatten pastry with hand; place one sheet in pan, trim to fit, if necessary.
- 3Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, cornflour and powder; gradually add milk, stirring for 1-2 minutes, or until smooth. Add butter; stir for about 1 minute, or until mixture boils and thickens. Simmer, stirring, for about 2-3 minutes or until thick and smooth. Remove from heat; stir in egg yolk and extract. Cover with plastic wrap; cool.
- 4Meanwhile, to make passionfruit icing: Place sugar, butter and pulp in small heatproof bowl over small saucepan of simmering water (make sure the bowl does not touch the water); stir for about 1 minute, or until icing is spreadable.
- 5Using an electric mixer, beat cream in a small bowl for about 2 minutes, or until firm peaks form. Fold cream into cooled custard, in two batches.
- 6Spread custard mixture over pastry in pan. Top with remaining pastry, trim to fit, if necessary; press down slightly. Spread icing over pastry.
- 7Refrigerate slice for 3 hours or overnight before serving.
It's best to store any leftover slice in large pieces, so if you think it won't all be eaten or you want to save some for later, keep a portion without cutting it into squares or bars. Keep the piece of slice as airtight as possible in a resealable plastic bag or an airtight container, and cut it just before you're ready to serve.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Kohlrabi & sweet potato rosti with cashew dipYesterday 7:08am
- Delicious recipes to try in your Kmart pie makerYesterday 12:05am
- Beef curry with turmeric rice and coconut sambalJun 14, 2019
- Banana cake recipesJun 14, 2019
- Beef curry recipesJun 14, 2019
- Fabulous frittata recipesJun 13, 2019
- 10 perfect puff pastry recipesJun 12, 2019
- 10 easy risotto recipesJun 11, 2019
- Quiche LorraineJun 06, 2019
- Vegetarian nachosJun 06, 2019
- Quince recipesJun 06, 2019
- Fried rice recipesJun 06, 2019
- Roasted chickpeas & beansJun 05, 2019
- 14 cheeky chickpea recipesJun 05, 2019
- Waffles à la suzetteJun 04, 2019
- Vegetable and chickpea frittersJun 04, 2019