- 500 gram butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1/4 cup (60g) vanilla bean dusting sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cup (675g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) rice flour
- 2 tablespoon white sugar
- 1Beat butter, caster sugar, dusting sugar and extract in a large bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Stir in sifted flours, then press mixture together to form a firm dough. Turn onto a lightly-floured surface and knead gently until smooth. Divide dough in half. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2Preheat oven to 150°C. Grease oven trays. Roll one dough half between two sheets of baking paper until 1cm thick. Using a 6cm round fluted cutter, cut out rounds from dough. From each round, cut a hole in the centre with a 1.5cm fluted cutter. Re-roll scraps and repeat until all the dough has been used.
- 3Place rounds on oven trays and sprinkle with white sugar. Repeat with remaining half of dough.
- 4Bake shortbread 30 minutes or until a pale straw colour. Stand on trays for 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool.
To give as a gift, thread ribbon through centre of the shortbread and tie into a ring. Or, you can hang shortbread from your Christmas tree.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chorizo and capscium savoury bread puddingFeb 13, 2019
- Caramel cheesecake sliceFeb 13, 2019
- Delicious recipes to back up your gut healthFeb 13, 2019
- Valentine's Day dinners worth staying in forFeb 12, 2019
- Turmeric dosa with green chilli potatoesFeb 10, 2019
- Healthy steamed fish and vegetable parcelsFeb 10, 2019
- Vegan tiramisuFeb 10, 2019
- Indian-style gnocchi with green veg masalaFeb 10, 2019
- Grain-free coconut granolaFeb 10, 2019
- Banana, coconut & rosemary nice-creamFeb 10, 2019
- Gluten-free buckwheat waffles with golden syrupFeb 10, 2019
- How to cook burghulFeb 10, 2019
- Vegetable lasagneFeb 10, 2019