- 500 gram butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1/4 cup (60g) vanilla bean dusting sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cup (675g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) rice flour
- 2 tablespoon white sugar
- 1Beat butter, caster sugar, dusting sugar and extract in a large bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Stir in sifted flours, then press mixture together to form a firm dough. Turn onto a lightly-floured surface and knead gently until smooth. Divide dough in half. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2Preheat oven to 150°C. Grease oven trays. Roll one dough half between two sheets of baking paper until 1cm thick. Using a 6cm round fluted cutter, cut out rounds from dough. From each round, cut a hole in the centre with a 1.5cm fluted cutter. Re-roll scraps and repeat until all the dough has been used.
- 3Place rounds on oven trays and sprinkle with white sugar. Repeat with remaining half of dough.
- 4Bake shortbread 30 minutes or until a pale straw colour. Stand on trays for 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool.
To give as a gift, thread ribbon through centre of the shortbread and tie into a ring. Or, you can hang shortbread from your Christmas tree.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin marmaladeMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and chai soufflesMay 20, 2019
- Magical mandarin recipesMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019
- Slow cooker vegetable minestroneMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker ribollitaMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker borschtMay 14, 2019
- Ricotta recipes for a delicious dinnerMay 14, 2019