Vanilla custard pie
- 2 (sheets) puff pastry
- 2 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1/4 cup (20g) flaked almonds
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (150g) cornflour
- 1/2 cup (60g) custard powder
- 1 1/4 cup (300ml) thickened cream
- 3 1/2 cup (875ml) milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 60 gram butter, chopped coarsely
- 2 egg yolks
Vanilla custard pie
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F. Grease 24cm round springform tin. Line oven trays with baking paper.
- 2Place pastry sheets on oven trays; brush with a little water. Sprinkle evenly with sifted icing sugar. Sprinkle one pastry sheet with nuts. Bake about 15 minutes or until browned lightly. Gently flatten pastry with egg slice. Cut each sheet into 24cm rounds. Place plain sheet in tin.
- 3Meanwhile, combine caster sugar, cornflour and custard powder in medium saucepan. Combine cream and milk in large jug. Gradually stir milk mixture into sugar mixture, until smooth.
- 4Halve vanilla bean lengthways, scrape seeds into pan; add butter. Bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens. Simmer for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in egg yolks. Spread mixture over pastry in tin. Top with remaining pastry round, nut-side up. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- 5Serve dusted with a little extra sifted icing sugar.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Kale recipes you'll go crazy forToday 6:49am
- Cauliflower 'fried rice' with mushrooms and hamToday 3:49am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Easy Danish pastriesYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lamb and spinach samosasYesterday 2:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Garibaldi sliceYesterday 2:00pm
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafSep 25, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020