Vanilla custard cake
- 125 gram butter, chopped, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 eggs
- 2 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- icing sugar, for dusting
- whipped cream, to serve
- 1/3 cup custard powder
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Vanilla custard cake
- 1Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Lightly grease a 22cm round cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper.
- 2To make custard, place custard powder in a saucepan. Add a little milk; stir until a smooth paste. Stir in sugar, vanilla and remaining milk; cook, stirring, on a medium heat, until custard boils and thickens. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of custard to prevent a skin forming. Set aside to cool slightly - custard will need to be warm when ready to use.
- 3In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and vanilla together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 4Sift flours together; fold lightly into creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- 5Spoon half cake mixture into prepared pan, smoothing surface.
- 6Carefully spread warm custard evenly over top of cake mixture. Spoon remaining cake mixture over custard, and use back of a spoon to gently smooth surface and cover custard.
- 7Bake 50-55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean and dry. Cool in pan 20 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- 8Dust with icing sugar and serve with whipped cream.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 30 brilliant barramundi dishes to make for dinnerYesterday 2:00pm
- 35 vegetarian dishes featuring mushroomAug 12, 2022
- Mushroom soupAug 11, 2022
- 46 creative ways with carrotsAug 11, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022