- 250 grams (8oz) butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups (260g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
Vanilla bean icing
- 1 1/2 cups (240g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 tablespoons water, approximately
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F. Grease a deep 20cm (8in) square cake pan or deep 22cm (9in) round cake pan, line base and sides of pan with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm (2in) above the sides.
- 2Beat butter, vanilla and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until just combined between additions. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; fold in combined sifted flours and milk in two batches. Spread mixture into pan.
- 3Bake cake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- 4Make vanilla bean icing: Sift icing sugar into a small heatproof bowl; stir in vanilla and enough water to form a firm paste. Place the bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water; stir until the icing is of a spreadable consistency. Do not over-heat.
- 5Spread icing immediately on the cake, allowing a little to drip over the sides.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin marmaladeMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and chai soufflesMay 20, 2019
- Magical mandarin recipesMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019
- Slow cooker vegetable minestroneMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker ribollitaMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker borschtMay 14, 2019
- Ricotta recipes for a delicious dinnerMay 14, 2019