- 250 grams (8oz) butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups (260g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
Vanilla bean icing
- 1 1/2 cups (240g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 tablespoons water, approximately
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F. Grease a deep 20cm (8in) square cake pan or deep 22cm (9in) round cake pan, line base and sides of pan with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm (2in) above the sides.
- 2Beat butter, vanilla and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until just combined between additions. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; fold in combined sifted flours and milk in two batches. Spread mixture into pan.
- 3Bake cake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- 4Make vanilla bean icing: Sift icing sugar into a small heatproof bowl; stir in vanilla and enough water to form a firm paste. Place the bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water; stir until the icing is of a spreadable consistency. Do not over-heat.
- 5Spread icing immediately on the cake, allowing a little to drip over the sides.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chicken curry recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- French toastYesterday 1:00pm
- Peanut butter cookiesYesterday 1:00pm
- Honey joysYesterday 1:00pm
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpYesterday 1:00pm
- Best burger recipesYesterday 4:33am
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladOct 15, 2019
- Vanilla sliceOct 15, 2019
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiOct 15, 2019
- Pho boOct 15, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootOct 13, 2019
- Beef stroganoffOct 13, 2019
- Vietnamese meatball and lettuce wrapOct 13, 2019
- Strawberry jelly sliceOct 13, 2019
- Melting momentsOct 10, 2019