- 400 gram silverside
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup dijon mustard
- 12 slice rye sourdough
- 6 large gherkins
- 250 gram swiss cheese, sliced
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1/2 onion, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, crushed
- 1/2 savoy cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup water
- 1Remove silverside from packaging and rinse under running water. Immerse in a large saucepan of water with the bay leaves and peppercorns.
- 2Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Drain and allow meat to rest and cool while you make the sauerkraut (below).
- 3To assemble, spread Dijon mustard generously over the bread. Lay 2 tbsp of sauerkraut on 6 slices. Slice the silverside. Stack the meat, gherkins and cheese over the sauerkraut, then top with remaining rye bread.
- 4Heat oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and garlic, then cook over a low heat until translucent. Add cabbage, salt, vinegar, cider and water.
- 5Simmer for 30 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Leave to cool before serving.
Mike's Top Tips: Traditional sauerkraut takes days to ferment, but this is my secret recipe for a quick and easy version that tastes just as good. Choose a reputable butcher when buying the silverside – not only will the meat be of a better quality, but the butcher would have most likely used a complex pickling recipe, which will translate into a fuller-flavoured meat. To put your own spin on the Reuben Van de Elzen, you could make an open sandwich and melt the cheese on top. You could also put the whole sandwich in to a toaster for an incredible toastie. Yum! - Mike Van de Elzen
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 20 homemade muesli bars and snack barsToday 5:29am
- Nectarine and almond tarte tatinToday 2:23am
- 25 pasta recipesToday 1:08am
- Garlic prawns with sourdough toastToday 12:23am
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 8:00pm
- Slow-cooker mushroom risottoYesterday 1:00pm
- Healthy quinoa saladsYesterday 1:00pm
- 17 sensational seafood stews and casserolesYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 healthy snacks to get you through the dayYesterday 1:00pm
- Beer-battered fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- 23 fish cakes recipes for easy dinnersYesterday 1:00pm
- 36 vegan dinners for the familyYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingYesterday 1:00pm
- Baked caramel cheesecakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Thai beef saladYesterday 1:00pm