We've used a square cake pan and used the rhubarb to form a grid pattern on the cake. Choose rhubarb with even-sized, very pink stalks, or buy two bunches so you can select even stalks.
- 8 stalks rhubarb (500g), cut into 9.5cm lengths
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped uncrystallised sweet ginger (naked ginger)
- ⅓ cup (80ml) ginger cordial
- ¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup (60ml) light olive oil
- ⅓ cup (80ml) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- ½ cup (50g) hazelnut meal (ground hazelnuts)
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Grease a deep 22cm square cake pan; line base and sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm over the top.
- 2Arrange rhubarb on base of pan, in a single layer, in a grid-like pattern. Sprinkle ginger over rhubarb; drizzle with cordial.
- 3Beat ½ cup of sugar with egg yolks in a small bowl with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and pale. Add oil, buttermilk and vanilla; beat on low speed until just combined. Fold in flour and hazelnut meal until just combined.
- 4Beat egg whites in a clean small bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar and cream of tartar, beating until firm peaks form. Fold one-third of the egg white mixture into cake mixture; fold in the remaining egg white mixture. Pour mixture over rhubarb.
- 5Bake cake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool cake in pan; it will shrink slightly. Turn cake out onto a plate.
- 6Serve cake with thick cream for morning or afternoon tea, or warm with custard or ice-cream for a dessert, if desired.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsJan 25, 2020
- Lamington popsJan 25, 2020
- Churros with hot chocolateJan 16, 2020
- Bourbon & molasses barbecue sauceJan 16, 2020
- Ricotta cheesecake with mangoJan 16, 2020
- Passionfruit cheesecake sliceJan 15, 2020
- Crab and zucchini spaghettiJan 15, 2020
- Quick three-cheese frittataJan 15, 2020
- Chicken skewers with green olive dressingJan 15, 2020
- Prawn cocktail platterJan 15, 2020
- Paprika chicken with chilli sauceJan 15, 2020
- Three-ingredient plum tartJan 15, 2020
- Linguine with garlic prawnsJan 15, 2020
- Marjoram and malt vinegar tomatoesJan 15, 2020
- Lamb kofta with yoghurtJan 15, 2020