Tuna shepherd's pie
- 800 gram potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 70 gram butter
- 3/4 cup milk, plus 1 1/2 cups extra
- 1 large leek, pale section only, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cream
- 150 gram frozen mixed vegetables
- 425 gram can tuna in spring water, drained, flaked
- 2 tablespoon chopped dill, plus extra sprigs, to serve
- 2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, thawed
Tuna shepherd's pie
- 1Place potato in a large saucepan; cover with cold water.
- 2Bring to the boil; boil 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain; return to pan. Place over low heat. Add 30g butter and milk; mash until almost smooth. Season.
- 3Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in a saucepan over moderate heat.
- 4Add leek; cook, stirring, 3 minutes, or until soft. Add flour; cook, stirring, 1 minute, or until bubbling.
- 5Gradually whisk in extra milk until smooth. Gradually whisk in cream until smooth. Cook, whisking, 3 minutes, or until sauce boils and thickens. Stir in frozen vegetables, tuna and dill. Remove from heat. Season; cool.
- 6Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- 7Gently press pastry sheets into a 20cm (base diameter) round pie plate, overlapping slightly at centre; trim edge. Using a fork, decorate edge of pastry and prick base alll over. Bake 10 minutes, or until light golden.
- 8Spoon cooled tuna mixture into pastry shell; top with mashed potato. Bake 25 minutes, or until golden. Stand in pie plate 10 minutes. Serve sprinkled with extra dill.
We used a frozen vegetable mix of com, carrot and broccoli.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Carrot cake with cream cheese frostingYesterday 11:22pm
- Lamb kofta with cucumber yoghurtYesterday 11:00pm
- Creamy salmon gnocchiYesterday 1:00pm
- 20 of our best gnocchi recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy hot cross bunsApr 01, 2020
- Gluten-free banana breadApr 01, 2020
- Fluffy buttermilk pancakesApr 01, 2020
- Chicken, pumpkin and apricot tagineApr 01, 2020
- Salted honeycombApr 01, 2020
- Tuna mornayApr 01, 2020
- Flourless cakesMar 31, 2020
- White sauceMar 31, 2020
- Dinner date recipes to impressMar 31, 2020
- The big chocolate cookieMar 31, 2020
- Princess-themed birthday cakesMar 31, 2020
- 100 years of Australian dinnersMar 31, 2020