Tuna and potato pie
- 500 gram potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup milk, plus 1 1/4 cups extra
- 50 gram butter, plus 30 g extra, melted
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 95 gram can lemon pepper-flavoured tuna
- 425 gram can tuna chunks in brine
- 300 gram frozen chunky mixed vegetables
- 2 tablespoon packaged dried breadcrumbs
- mixed salad, to serve
Tuna and potato pie
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan forced. Place potato and garlic in a large saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to the boil. Boil for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain; return to pan. Add milk and half the butter; mash until smooth. Season.
- 2Meanwhile, drain tuna chunks, reserving brine from can. Melt remaining butter in a large saucepan over moderate heat; remove pan from heat. Add flour; stir until mixture is smooth. Return pan to heat; cook and stir for 1 minute. Slowly stir in reserved tuna brine and extra milk; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens. Add both tuna varieties and mixed vegetables; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until mixture is hot.
- 3Spoon fish mixture into a 20cm round (base diameter) x 7cm deep ovenproof dish; top with mashed potato, then sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Drizzle with extra melted butter. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Serve with salad.
Make ahead: You can make pie up to 4 hours ahead. Cover, then refrigerate. Low fat: Use reduced-fat or skim milk. We used a frozen chunky vegetable mix of cauliflower, broccoli and carrot. Choose a potato variety that's suitable for mashing.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Iced vovosSep 16, 2021
- Salmon pattiesSep 16, 2021
- Picnic food ideasSep 16, 2021
- Sri Lankan potato and pea currySep 16, 2021
- Japanese katsu chicken currySep 16, 2021
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021