Shortbread is a traditional Scottish biscuit usually made from sugar, butter, and plain flour. Other ingredients like ground rice or cornflour are sometimes added to alter the texture.
- 250 gram butter, softened
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cup (300g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (100g) rice flour
- 2 tablespoon white sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Grease two oven trays.
- 2Beat butter and caster sugar in medium bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. In two batches, stir in water and sifted flours. Turn onto a lightly-floured surface and knead until smooth.
- 3Divide dough in two portions. Shape each portion, on separate trays, into 20cm rounds. Mark each round into 12 wedges; prick with fork. Pinch edges of rounds with fingers and sprinkle with white sugar.
- 4Bake shortbread about 40 minutes. Stand on trays for 5 minutes. Using sharp knife, cut into wedges along marked lines. Cool on trays.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooked lamb shank pieToday 5:13am
- Caramel sliceYesterday 11:16pm
- Corn and kidney bean quesadillas with tomato salsaYesterday 1:00pm
- Slow-cooked lamb with white beansYesterday 1:00pm
- Linguine primavera & poached eggsYesterday 1:00pm
- Brown fried rice with carrot, cabbage and red onionYesterday 1:00pm
- Raspberry crumble almond tartYesterday 1:00pm
- Braised beef cheeks in red wineYesterday 1:00pm
- Turkish eggs (Shakshuka)Yesterday 1:00pm
- Carrot cake with lemon cream cheese frostingYesterday 1:00pm
- Barley, chicken and sesame slawYesterday 1:00pm
- Creamy mushroom and spinach gnocchiYesterday 1:00pm
- Fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloniYesterday 1:00pm
- Jam rollYesterday 1:00pm
- Cumin-spiced steak with white bean hummusYesterday 1:00pm