- 1 3/4 cup sultanas
- 1 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/4 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup dried fruit medley, chopped
- 1 cup mixed glacé cherries, chopped
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1/2 cup brandy plus 1/2 cup extra, for brushing
- 250 gram butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon marmalade
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup sifted plain flour
- decorations of choice
- 1In a large ceramic bowl, combine fruit and brandy. Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside overnight to soak.
- 2Preheat oven to 120°C. Line base and sides of a 23cm square cake pan with two layers of brown paper and baking paper, allowing it to extend 2.5cm above edge.
- 3In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until pale and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in marmalade and vanilla. Transfer to a very large bowl.
- 4Fold half soaked fruit and half flour into creamed mixture (use a clean hand if you like). Fold in remaining fruit and flour. Pour carefully into pan (make sure to pack into corners), smoothing top.
- 5Bake 2½-3 hours, until cooked when tested with a skewer. Brush over extra brandy. Cool completely in pan, covered with a layer of foil and a clean tea towel. When cold, wrap in plastic wrap and foil and keep in an airtight container in a cool place.
If cake is cooked, a skewer inserted in the centre will come out clean and dry. We decorated our cake with ribbon and fondant icing stars. To make stars, tint fondant icing with food colouring and roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper. Cut out shapes using pastry cutters and allow to dry until firm.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Winter vegie bowlToday 2:53am
- Spicy zucchini and ricotta pasta shellsToday 1:35am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Silverside frittersYesterday 2:00pm
- 10 meals that are quick, easy and healthyYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect pumpkin recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pumpkin pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Double chocolate brownie cookiesJul 03, 2020
- Osso buco with gremolataJul 02, 2020
- Quince galetteJul 02, 2020
- Easy rissole recipesJul 02, 2020
- Silverbeet and ricotta dumplingsJul 02, 2020
- Pear & ginger upside-down cakeJul 02, 2020
- Coffee & cardamon brisketJul 02, 2020
- Rocky roadJul 02, 2020
- Churros with hot chocolateJul 02, 2020