- 2 medium carrots (240g), sliced into long, thin ribbons (see tips)
- 250 gram baby radishes, trimmed, sliced thinly
- 4 green onions (scallions), chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 400 gram firm tofu, drained, cut into 1cm slices, halved diagonally
- 1 medium red onion (170g), halved, sliced thinly
- 2 baby cos (romaine) lettuces (260g), leaves separated
- 1 medium nashi pear (200g), halved, cored, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1Make carrot kimchi: Place ingredients in a medium bowl; toss well to combine. Stand for 15 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, cook tofu and onion on a heated oiled grill plate (or grill or barbecue) over high heat for 4 minutes or until golden brown and grill marks appear on both sides. Transfer tofu and onion to a plate; cover to keep warm.
- 3Arrange lettuce leaves on serving plates; fill with tofu, onion, nashi and kimchi, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
We used a vegetable peeler to slice the carrot lengthways into long, thin ribbons. Kimchi is traditionally left to ferment, but this quick version mimics the flavours in a fraction of the time. You can buy small tubs of kimchi from most Asian grocers, if you prefer. Lettuce wraps are best eaten in one bite, so make them small and manageable. If transporting to work or school, pack filling ingredients and lettuce wraps separately, in airtight containers; keep refrigerated or pack with an ice brick. For the gluten-intolerant, use tamari instead of soy sauce.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Miso eggplant and noodle saladYesterday 10:00pm
- New York cheesecakeYesterday 5:00pm
- Verjuice chicken and leek stewYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Chunky minestrone with haloumiYesterday 2:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken paprikashYesterday 2:00pm
- Beef and mushroom stewYesterday 2:00pm
- 16 tasty ways with risoni pastaYesterday 2:00pm
- Easy gravyYesterday 2:00pm
- Easy chicken pasta recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Arancini with tomato and balsamic sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- 23 sweet and savoury hand piesYesterday 2:00pm
- Coconut beef curryYesterday 2:00pm