- 2 medium carrots (240g), sliced into long, thin ribbons (see tips)
- 250 gram baby radishes, trimmed, sliced thinly
- 4 green onions (scallions), chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 400 gram firm tofu, drained, cut into 1cm slices, halved diagonally
- 1 medium red onion (170g), halved, sliced thinly
- 2 baby cos (romaine) lettuces (260g), leaves separated
- 1 medium nashi pear (200g), halved, cored, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1Make carrot kimchi: Place ingredients in a medium bowl; toss well to combine. Stand for 15 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, cook tofu and onion on a heated oiled grill plate (or grill or barbecue) over high heat for 4 minutes or until golden brown and grill marks appear on both sides. Transfer tofu and onion to a plate; cover to keep warm.
- 3Arrange lettuce leaves on serving plates; fill with tofu, onion, nashi and kimchi, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
We used a vegetable peeler to slice the carrot lengthways into long, thin ribbons. Kimchi is traditionally left to ferment, but this quick version mimics the flavours in a fraction of the time. You can buy small tubs of kimchi from most Asian grocers, if you prefer. Lettuce wraps are best eaten in one bite, so make them small and manageable. If transporting to work or school, pack filling ingredients and lettuce wraps separately, in airtight containers; keep refrigerated or pack with an ice brick. For the gluten-intolerant, use tamari instead of soy sauce.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsJan 25, 2020
- Lamington popsJan 25, 2020
- Beet and black bean burgerJan 23, 2020
- Sticky wing with sesame saltJan 23, 2020
- Salmon and potato salad with mustardy dressingJan 23, 2020
- How to bake basic damper while campingJan 23, 2020
- Korean-style barbecued chicken riceJan 23, 2020
- "Eat your greens" chicken saladJan 23, 2020
- Sticky pork with sweet and sour saladJan 23, 2020
- Broccoli and paneer saag curryJan 23, 2020
- Roast pumpkin dip with spiced chickpeasJan 23, 2020
- Szechuan-style chilli eggplantJan 23, 2020
- Paper cup popsiclesJan 23, 2020
- Green minestrone with pestoJan 23, 2020