- 60 gram unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cup (370g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 300 gram sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 granny smith apples, cored, peeled, sliced
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 25cm springform cake pan; line the base and side with baking paper.
- 2Beat butter, vanilla and brown sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until combined. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then beat in sour cream. Stir in sifted flours and soda. Spoon mixture into the prepared pan. Smooth the top. Arrange the apple slices over the top.
- 3Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. If the cake is browning too quickly, cover loosely with a layer of foil for the last 30 minutes. Cool in the pan.
- 4Just before serving, place the caster sugar and water in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat, without boiling, until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil; boil, uncovered, until the toffee is beginning to turn golden brown, occasionally swirling the pan, but not stirring the mixture. Quickly remove from the heat and spoon the toffee over the apple.
Cake without toffee suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 12 lovely lentil recipesToday 12:40am
- Grilled haloumi, white nectarine & kohlrabi saladYesterday 2:04am
- Tamarind beef stir fry with kohlrabi saladJun 17, 2019
- Kohlrabi & sweet potato rosti with cashew dipJun 17, 2019
- Delicious recipes to try in your Kmart pie makerJun 17, 2019
- Beef curry with turmeric rice and coconut sambalJun 14, 2019
- Banana cake recipesJun 14, 2019
- Beef curry recipesJun 14, 2019
- Fabulous frittata recipesJun 13, 2019
- 10 perfect puff pastry recipesJun 12, 2019
- 10 easy risotto recipesJun 11, 2019
- Quiche LorraineJun 06, 2019
- Vegetarian nachosJun 06, 2019
- Quince recipesJun 06, 2019
- Fried rice recipesJun 06, 2019
- Roasted chickpeas & beansJun 05, 2019