- 60 gram unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cup (370g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 300 gram sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 granny smith apples, cored, peeled, sliced
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 25cm springform cake pan; line the base and side with baking paper.
- 2Beat butter, vanilla and brown sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until combined. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then beat in sour cream. Stir in sifted flours and soda. Spoon mixture into the prepared pan. Smooth the top. Arrange the apple slices over the top.
- 3Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. If the cake is browning too quickly, cover loosely with a layer of foil for the last 30 minutes. Cool in the pan.
- 4Just before serving, place the caster sugar and water in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat, without boiling, until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil; boil, uncovered, until the toffee is beginning to turn golden brown, occasionally swirling the pan, but not stirring the mixture. Quickly remove from the heat and spoon the toffee over the apple.
Cake without toffee suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 43 polenta recipes for dinner or dessertYesterday 5:51am
- Rhubarb and strawberry sponge puddingsJun 30, 2022
- 18 gorgeous green curriesJun 30, 2022
- What to make with your preserved lemonJun 30, 2022
- Nacho bowlsJun 30, 2022
- Preserved lemon, mint and raisin couscous saladJun 30, 2022
- Tomato-braised lamb shanks with creamy polentaJun 30, 2022
- What food is in season in July?Jun 30, 2022
- Choo-choo train birthday cakeJun 30, 2022
- Cheese and silverbeet borekJun 29, 2022
- Minestrone with barley and greensJun 29, 2022
- 42 perfect puddingsJun 29, 2022
- Tzatziki dipJun 29, 2022