- butter, to grease
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup (110 grams) caster sugar
- 1/4 cup (35 grams) plain flour
- 1/4 cup (35 grams) self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup (35 grams) cornflour
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 3/4 cup (180 millilitres) boiling water
- 1/3 cup (80 millilitres) marsala
- 2 tablespoons coffee-flavoured liqueur
- 500 grams mascarpone cheese
- 1/3 cup (55g) icing sugar
- 300 mililitres thickened cream
- Vienna almonds, coarsely chopped, to decorate (see tips)
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a deep 22cm-square cake pan with butter.
- 2Beat eggs in a small bowl with an electric mixer about 10 minutes or until thick and creamy. Add caster sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating until sugar is dissolved between additions. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 3Sift flours together twice into a separate bowl, and then sift a third time over the egg mixture, then fold ingredients together. Spread mixture into pan.
- 4Bake sponge for 25 minutes. Turn sponge out immediately, top-side up, onto a wire rack lined with baking paper to cool.
- 5Meanwhile, dissolve coffee in the water in a small heatproof jug. Stir in marsala and liqueur. Cool.
- 6Beat mascarpone and icing sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in cream and 1/3 cup of the coffee mixture.
- 7Split sponge cake in half vertically, then each of the halves in half horizontally. Place one of the cake rectangle on a serving plate, cut side up. Brush with a quarter of the remaining coffee mixture, then spread with 2/3 cup of mascarpone mixture. Repeat layering process, finishing with cake, cut-side down. Spread remaining mascarpone mixture on top and sides of cake. Refrigerate cake for 2 hours.
- 8To serve, decorate cake with coarsely chopped Vienna almonds.
To prevent the torte from leaning to one side, alternate the sponge pieces when layering so that the cut side of the sponge is on different sides of each layer. Vienna almonds are toffee-coated almonds, available from specialist nut shops.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lemon drizzle cakeToday 3:18am
- Luscious lemon cakeToday 12:01am
- Broccoli, mustard and cheddar hand piesToday 1:00pm
- Blueberry muffinsToday 1:00pm
- Easy vanilla cupcakesYesterday 1:00pm
- Chocolate slab cakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Sensational spring dinnersYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken & watercress pasta saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Almond friandsYesterday 1:00pm
- Women's Weekly Vintage Edition: Gingerbread peopleYesterday 1:00pm
- Oven temperature conversionsYesterday 4:43am
- Sweet curried sausagesOct 27, 2020
- Roast pumpkin, feta and chickpea saladOct 27, 2020
- Allergy-friendly fruit mince tartsOct 27, 2020
- Chicken schnitzelOct 27, 2020
- Fruit mince pies and treats for ChristmasOct 27, 2020