- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup (330g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) cornflour
- 1 cup (250ml) boiling water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 3/4 cup (180ml) marsala
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cup (500g) mascarpone
- 1/4 cup (25g) finely grated dark eating chocolate
- 300 millilitre thickened cream
- 75 gram dark eating chocolate, extra
- 1Preheat oven to moderate. Grease two deep 19cm-square cake pans; line bases with baking paper.
- 2Beat eggs in medium bowl with electric mixer about 10 minutes or until thick and creamy. Add 1 cup of the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until sugar dissolves between additions. Gently fold in triple-sifted flours, then ¼ cup of the boiling water. Divide mixture evenly between prepared pans; bake, uncovered, in moderate oven about 25 minutes. Turn cakes immediately onto wire racks to cool.
- 3Meanwhile, combine remaining boiling water, coffee and ½ cup of the marsala in small bowl; cool.
- 4Beat egg yolks and remaining sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until thick and creamy. Add remaining marsala and mascarpone; beat until combined.
- 5Line deep 19cm-square cake pan with plastic wrap. Split cooled cakes in half horizontally; place one layer of cake in pan, brush with ⅓ cup of the coffee mixture. Spread with 1 cup of the mascarpone mixture; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the grated chocolate. Repeat layering, finishing with layer of cake, cover; refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
- 6Beat cream in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Turn cake onto serving plate; spread top and sides with cream. Using vegetable peeler, make chocolate curls from extra chocolate; sprinkle over cake.
This recipe can be made 2 days in advance and kept, covered, in the refrigerator. Originally from Sicily, marsala is a sweet fortified wine; you can substitute it with any coffee-flavoured liqueur if you prefer. Mascarpone, an Italian fresh soft cheese, can be found in the dairy section of your supermarket.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- French toastOct 16, 2019
- Honey joysOct 16, 2019
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpOct 16, 2019
- Peanut butter cookiesOct 16, 2019
- Chicken curry recipesOct 16, 2019
- Ocean trout salad with edamame miso dressingOct 16, 2019
- Windsor shortbreadOct 16, 2019
- Coconut riceOct 16, 2019
- Best burger recipesOct 16, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsOct 16, 2019
- Sweet potato bubble and squeakOct 16, 2019
- Spiced apple filo coilOct 16, 2019
- Lemon curd cakeOct 16, 2019
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019
- Vanilla sliceOct 15, 2019
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiOct 15, 2019