Tian is a French term for a shallow, earthernware dish, as well as the food that is cooked in it. A tian is a type of gratin, typically vegetables baked in an earthenware dish.
- 3 small zucchini (270g)
- 2 small eggplants (460g)
- 2 medium orange sweet potatoes (800g)
- 400 g purple-skinned white sweet potatoes
- ⅓ cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 150 g bottled pesto
- 2 x400g cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
- ½ cup (40g) grated parmesan
- 4 medium vine-ripened tomatoes (640g), sliced thickly
- 300 g buffalo mozzarella, drained, torn
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- 2Using a mandoline, slice zucchini on the diagonal into 1cm (½in) thick ovals; place in a large bowl. Cut eggplant and sweet potatoes into 2mm thick rounds. Add to bowl with 2 tablespoons of the oil; season well. Toss to combine.
- 3Reserve ¼ cup of the pesto. Pulse chickpeas, remaining pesto and parmesan in a small food processor until very coarsely combined. Spoon three-quarters of the chickpea mixture over the base of a 3-litre (12-cup), 22cm x 30cm (8¾ in x 12in) shallow ovenproof dish.
- 4Arrange vegetables in overlapping layers over chickpea mixture. Cover dish with foil; bake for 50 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Place tomatoes in the gaps; sprinkle with remaining chickpea mixture and remaining oil. Bake, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes or until golden and vegetables are cooked through.
- 5Top tian with mozzarella, drizzle with remaining pesto and scatter with basil. Season to taste.
You can use purple or all white sweet potato instead of orange, if preferred. Chickpea mixture can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. Recipe is best made close to serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lamb shanksMay 26, 2022
- Ham and cheese croquettesMay 26, 2022
- Slow-cooked bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Basil, chickpea and vegetable stewMay 26, 2022
- 28 easy ways with bologneseMay 26, 2022
- Individual chocolate self-saucing puddingsMay 26, 2022
- Cauliflower parmigianaMay 26, 2022
- Classic lemon cheesecakeMay 26, 2022
- 30 fabulous fish curriesMay 26, 2022
- Red velvet cakeMay 26, 2022
- Mulled wineMay 26, 2022
- Silverbeet omelette with capsicum saladMay 26, 2022
- Spiced semolina and almond halvaMay 26, 2022
- 26 things you can make with a bottle of red wineMay 25, 2022
- Flourless orange & white chocolate cakeMay 25, 2022