- 6 1/4 cup (1kg) sultanas
- 2 1/2 cup (375g) currants
- 2 1/4 cup (375g) raisins, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup (250g) chopped dates
- 1 1/2 cup (250g) chopped prunes
- 1 1/2 cup (300g) glace cherries, quartered
- 1/2 cup (125g) chopped glace apricots
- 1/2 cup (125g) chopped glace ginger
- 1/2 cup (125g) mixed peel
- 3 medium (450g) apples, peeled, grated
- 2/3 cup (220g) fig jam
- 2 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup (125ml) orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cup (500g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice
- 1 1/3 cup (330ml) grand marnier (see notes)
- 1Combine all ingredients in large bowl, mix well; cover tightly.
- 2Store mixture in a cool dark place at least overnight or for up to a month, stirring occasionally.
This basic fruit mixture recipe makes one deep 22cm round cake, one boiled pudding and about 48 fruit mince tarts. The mixture can be prepared at least a month before you are ready to use it. Simply stir the ingredients occasionally. Store in a cool dark place or refrigerate. We used Grand Marnier in this recipe to tie in with the citrus flavour, but sherry, rum, brandy or whisky can be used instead.