- 800 gram square dark fruit cake
- 550 gram frozen mixed berries
- 1 litre good-quality vanilla bean ice-cream
- 2 tablespoon brandy or rum
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon finely grated mandarin or orange rind
- 1/4 cup (40g) dry-roasted almonds, chopped coarsely
- 10 vanilla flavour mini meringue drops
- 1Grease a 20cm springform pan; line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 3cm beyond rim.
- 2Cut fruit cake into three slices horizontally. Place a square slice in the centre of the base of the pan. Using remaining slices, trim them to fit the gaps; reserve trimmings. Using your hands, flatten fruit cake to form a level base without gaps. Cut trimmings into small pieces.
- 3Remove ½ cup frozen red berries, cut any strawberries in half. Press strawberries to the side of the pan using some ice-cream as ‘glue’. Place the pan in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- 4Spoon remaining ice-cream into a large bowl; stir in brandy, nutmeg, rind and almonds; stir to combine. Spoon one-third of the ice-cream mixture into the pan; scatter with one-third reserved fruit cake, smooth level with a spoon. Repeat with remaining ice-cream mixture and fruit cake. Freeze for 4 hours or overnight until firm.
- 5To serve, transfer cake to a serving plate. Layer remaining berries and meringues over the top, crushing some of the meringues in the process.
The cake can be made up to three days ahead.