- 800 gram square dark fruit cake
- 550 gram frozen mixed berries
- 1 litre good-quality vanilla bean ice-cream
- 2 tablespoon brandy or rum
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon finely grated mandarin or orange rind
- 1/4 cup (40g) dry-roasted almonds, chopped coarsely
- 10 vanilla flavour mini meringue drops
- 1Grease a 20cm springform pan; line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 3cm beyond rim.
- 2Cut fruit cake into three slices horizontally. Place a square slice in the centre of the base of the pan. Using remaining slices, trim them to fit the gaps; reserve trimmings. Using your hands, flatten fruit cake to form a level base without gaps. Cut trimmings into small pieces.
- 3Remove ½ cup frozen red berries, cut any strawberries in half. Press strawberries to the side of the pan using some ice-cream as 'glue'. Place the pan in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- 4Spoon remaining ice-cream into a large bowl; stir in brandy, nutmeg, rind and almonds; stir to combine. Spoon one-third of the ice-cream mixture into the pan; scatter with one-third reserved fruit cake, smooth level with a spoon. Repeat with remaining ice-cream mixture and fruit cake. Freeze for 4 hours or overnight until firm.
- 5To serve, transfer cake to a serving plate. Layer remaining berries and meringues over the top, crushing some of the meringues in the process.
The cake can be made up to three days ahead.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salt and vinegar roast potatoesToday 1:33am
- DukkahYesterday 11:00pm
- Mocha mi suYesterday 1:00pm
- Sausage rollsYesterday 1:00pm
- Crackling hamYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make buttercream icing for cakes and cupcakesYesterday 1:11am
- Rich chocolate fudge recipeDec 10, 2019
- Classic roast chicken with gravyDec 10, 2019
- ColeslawDec 09, 2019
- Honey soy nutsDec 09, 2019
- Millionaire's shortbreadDec 09, 2019
- Christmas celebration salad with maple dressingDec 09, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafDec 08, 2019
- Spiced sweet potato tartDec 08, 2019
- Sweet potato, mint and goat’s cheese tartletsDec 08, 2019
- Christmas dinners that aren't Christmas hamDec 08, 2019