Thai red beef curry
- 1/4 cup vegetable or peanut oil
- 500 gram beef chuck steak, cut into 2 cm pieces
- 1/3 cup bought red curry paste
- 270 millilitre can coconut milk
- 270 millilitre can coconut cream
- 200 gram green beans, halved diagonally
- 1 carrot, peeled, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, plus extra small leaves, to serve
- 3 cup cooked jasmine rice, to serve
Thai red beef curry
- 1Heat a wok or large deep frying pan over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil; swirl to coat surface. Stir-fry beef, in batches, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a heatproof plate.
- 2Add remaining oil to wok; swirl to coat surface. Add curry paste; stir-fry for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Return beef and any juices to wok; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add coconut milk and 1 cup water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- 3Add coconut cream, beans, carrot and capsicum to wok; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add sugar, fish sauce and basil leaves; stir until combined. Sprinkle with extra basil. Serve with rice.
Vegetarian: Use 500g firm chopped tofu instead of beef. Cooking time will vary. You can swap coconut milk for 1 large crumbled beef stock cube and 3/4 cup water. You'll need to cook 1 cup of rice.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make apple pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Custard tartJul 22, 2021
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- 18 vegetarian lasagne recipesJul 22, 2021
- Very green veggie curryJul 21, 2021
- Spiced vegetable biryaniJul 21, 2021
- Cherry lattice pies for your pie makerJul 21, 2021
- Chicken and vegetable risottoJul 21, 2021