- 6 lebanese cucumbers (780g), halved lengthways, seeded
- 1/4 cup (60g) coarse cooking salt
- 2 cup (500ml) rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 centimetre piece fresh ginger (10g), grated
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 fresh long red chilli, sliced thinly
- 1 red onion (100g), sliced thinly
- 1Place cucumber in colander; sprinkle with salt. Stand 2 hours. Rinse well under cold water; drain. Pat dry with absorbent paper. Slice cucumber into 1cm-thick slices.
- 2Combine vinegar, sugar and sauce in medium saucepan; stir over heat until sugar dissolves. Add ginger, garlic and chilli; bring to the boil. Remove from heat.
- 3Place cucumber and onion in sterilised jars; pour vinegar mixture over cucumber. Seal jars tightly; cool. Refrigerate overnight.
Pickle can be stored, in the refrigerator, for up to two weeks. Choose: glossy, firm cucumbers that have no soft spots. Store: them in the crisper of the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Prepare: To seed cucumbers, cut them in half lengthways, then use a teaspoon to run the length of the cucumber, scraping toward you with the spoon facing down. Peeling is a matter of preference, although the thicker-skinned varieties, such as telegraph and green cucumbers, should certainly be considered. Slice: thinly or use a vegetable peeler to make ribbons to add to a salad, or make a salad of dill, white vinegar and cucumber. Cucumber sandwiches have a lovely aristocratic resonance that makes you feel special when eating them. Simply butter good, white bread, add thinly sliced cucumber and trim the crusts. Julienne: cucumber for a crudité platter with a selection of dips. Pickled: cucumber is a classic accompaniment for cold meats or as a pre-dinner snack. Chop: a seeded cucumber finely then mix with yogurt, garlic and lemon for tzatziki, a traditional Greek dip.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupJan 20, 2022
- 30 sweet slice recipesJan 20, 2022
- Fresh tomato pizzettasJan 20, 2022
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Marbled cheesecake browniesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022